Duck House Floor - Deep Litter Method?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PeaceDuckies, Apr 21, 2017.

1. PeaceDuckies

PeaceDuckies Just Hatched

Apr 21, 2017
    Indiana
    I'm turning my old shed into my ducks new humble abode. It's decent size and will house my 10 Rouen and Pekin. They will free range during the day and be secured in the shed at night. The floor is wood. What does everyone find works best for flooring? I'm considering putting vinyl down over the wood so it doesn't rot, then trying the deep litter method over that. I've heard some use pea stone, pine shavings, straw, sand, etc. What do you guys find works best for keeping the coop clean and the smell to a minimum? Any and all suggestions greatly welcomed! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @PeaceDuckies Welcome to BYC!

I have wood floors in all my houses and buy the inexpensive vinyl to put down over them it works great ..I also use horse bedding which is the larger pine shavings and I use deep litter. I do clean their bedding every day but it's goes fast since I just scoop out the wet poop and fluff the bedding after and add new as needed. Be sure your shed has adequate ventilation for your ducks that is very important.

1 person likes this.
  3. 907ak49

907ak49 New Egg

Jun 21, 2016
    Alaska
    I think the preferred floor would be vinyl. I did the deep litter method this winter in my coop(open air coop) and it seemed to work great( I'm in Alaska, so it got -35) and I think I will do the same next year in the winter. I used a mix of shavings and leaves in the bottom to begin, then added straw all winter as it got colder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by