Duck House Ideas

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chicksooner, Oct 8, 2012.

1. chicksooner

chicksooner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I have 2 ducklings that will be ready to move out of the brooder in a couple weeks. My plan is to put them in a house of some sort on the island in our pond. I was thinking of converting a large dog house but I have not found any steals for one on CL. So I think we will just need to build one. I would love to see your duck house.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Where ever you put one it will have to be predator proof even on an island in the middle of a pond or you'll be heart broken one day.

3. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mine although I have 13 Muscovies, but the point being it needs to be secure. Ducks on the left chickens on the right[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. chicksooner

Aug 19, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Predator Proof I can do. What to build them though...

Love the combo chicken/duck house. Considered putting them in with the chickens but I wanted them to have access to all the water they wanted.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mine are all in the same house but there is a wall and door dividing the 2. All they need is something strudy with lots of ventilation be it windows or cut outs with hardware screen to cover, we have windows bought from habitat for humanity's thrift store with hardware screen covering the outside. easy to clean. some folks have used the dog house from Lowes for a few it has a roof the opens for easy cleaning.

6. yo burrill

yo burrill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2012
    Garland, ME
    Doesnt have to be anything fancy Just a 3x3 foot box that is wind proof and dry. Make it easy to clean out though, a hinged roof or front panel with a smaller door for the ducks. Being you are from Oklahoma tornado proof would be a plus. :)

7. chicksooner

Aug 19, 2012
    Oklahoma
    hmmmm tornado proof. [​IMG]

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    uumm can you walk out on this island on your pond to let them out daily and lock them up at night? Ducklings fresh from a brooder generally move to a grow out pen, not a large open pond since they need to learn about free ranging, and swimming.

9. chicksooner

Aug 19, 2012
    Oklahoma
    They are in the grow out pen but they have very quickly outgrown that pen. Yes the pond is right out back. There is a dock to the island.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think your only problem is going to be making your duck house as secure as you can, using hardware cloth on all openings and having a secure lock on thier door for night. plenty of ventilation for moisture to escape and for good breathing. No one thinks they have preds until they get ducks/chickens or geese then they find out. Best to do it right the first time then no heartbreak. another thing you need to take in to mind is the threat from under water, snappers have been know to eat ducklings and also severely maime adult ducks so before putting them on the water you may want to check and make sure your pond isn't harboring snappers there are other threats too, sliders I have heard can cause injury and also some types of fish. Make sure whatever you build isn't easily dragged into the pond either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by