Premium Feather Member
- Feb 22, 2009
Please visit them and thank them for their support of BYC
We’ve received many requests for a section on duck coops, duck houses, duck ponds, etc. So… Here you go! The first ever contest just for duck houses and ponds!
Get those digital cameras out and scan those plans you wrote on the back of your feed store receipt. Throw them together with a great write up and you could be a winner! (Okay... everyone on BYC is a winner... you'd just be a super page contest winner!)
This is a contest to see who can create the best duck page for BYC, be it a house or pond (or both!). We define the "best page" to mean pages with the most information, pictures, plans, details, etc. that will be very helpful to others who want to build a duck house or pond. We don't care if yours was made out of recycled material and is simple and low maintenance, or the highest, best quality stuff and has lots of detailed carpentry. We want helpful and informative pages!
The winner of the contest will get a $20 Gift Certificate for the BYC Store!
You'll be using the BYC Page & Article Creation Tool to design your pages and creating a page here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs
Deadline: The deadline will be based on the number of submissions we receive and how quickly we get them. Usually we wait for at least 20 - 30 submissions. Once we get "enough" we'll give everyone at least 1 week notice before the contest ends so they can put final touches on their submissions.
Things to include in your page:
- Start with a finished picture at the top of your page
- Have a write-up of how you built your duck house/pond. Include any information you think would be helpful to other people who may want to build a similar one.
- If you have them, include designs & plans you used.
- Pictures of your duck house/pond as it was being constructed.
- Finished pictures of your project.
- A list of things you want to change or add to your duck house/pond.
- Additional information about what you learned, what you'd do differently the next time, and any other tips for potential builders.
To increase your chances of winning the contest, make sure it has as many of the elements above in as much
detail as possible! Here are some additional hints to help you win the contest:
1) Follow the format of some of the existing coop pages.
2) The more details and pictures the better!
3) Plans plans plans. Very few coop designs have plans available. If you post plans (rough or detailed) of your duck house/pond you'll get bonus points for sure!
4) Pictures - We all love lots of big beautiful and helpful pictures!
5) Remember, this is a contest for the most helpful duck house/pond build page and not necessarily the best looking one.
IMPORTANT RULE: ALL pictures MUST be uploaded to BYC and not hosted on other sites like Photobucket, personal websites, etc.
We expect to add all of the pages submitted to the brand spankin' new Duck House & Pond Designs page of BYC (which hasn't been created quite yet, but we will make it similar to the chicken coop indexes), but the best will win the contest.
TO ENTER THE CONTEST:
- Navigate to the "coop designs" section of the site.
- Scroll below the thumbnails of coops and to the middle left of the page you will see a button for "Add a Coop Design" Click that button and give the page a title.
- Create a very helpful page with lots of pictures and information.
- Reply to this thread with a link to your duck house/pond page you created.
- Have Fun!
NOTE: If you're one of those modest types and want to add your duck house/pond to the index but don't want to enter the contest, that is fine. We'd still love to have your pictures posted to a BYC page and a link to your page posted in this thread... the more designs the better!
We look forward to seeing your pages, pictures, and information!!