Duck House Questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducklover87, Feb 24, 2013.

1. ducklover87

ducklover87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    I have a few questions about duck houses. Right now I have 4 Pekins and they just use a dog house and free range all over the yard. But I recently ordered some more ducks and a couple different duck breeds. I want to build them a nice house with plenty of room if they need to stay in for a couple days or a week. I live in northern New York so in the winter it can get to below 0 and stay there. I'm not quite sure how to do it and be able to keep the breeds separate so that I don't have any interbreeding. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I'd build/buy an 8x8 or there abouts shed (look at the lifetime ones online or see what HD/Lowe's has) or if you are in an Amish or Mennonite area...

Leave most of it open, but build pens for the different groups in the shed. Put them to bed in there. And if you have to keep them closed up for an extended period of time, alternate who gets to be out of their pen and use the rest of the shed
    So like a mini horse barn with stalls for each breed.

3. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    Thanks a lot I really like this idea and i'm totally bummed I couldn't think of it on my own. With the ducklings i'll be getting in a few months i'll have a total of 14 ducks will 8x8 be ok or should I go larger? It seems kinda small for 14 ducks. Thanks again I love this idea.

4. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Always go larger - it means you might have room for more LOL

I want to build an 8x8 garden shed for my 5 ducks and 3 (or up to 6 chicks). DH doesn't know yet it will house them.... shhh. I blame it on the Country Gardens magazine cover from winter... I want that!

5. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    I must I do agree with you there its very nice. No worries I won't say a thing [​IMG]. What building supplies should I use? Does it need to be insulated? Where would be the best place to buy lumber from? What kind of lumber should I use? The building is going to be 10'x10' and 6' tall that way I won't have to hunch over and it'll give me a lil bit of head room lol I figure this would be the best way and I would be able to leave a lot of it open so that I can alternate with my breeds just like your suggestion.

6. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Where in northern NY are you?
    I know Lowe's and HD were my staples when I lived in central NY and in the lower Adirondack region. I went to school in Potsdam, but I wasn't looking for home improvement/lumber places then lol

You'll want pressured treated for anything that touches the ground. Beyond that, regular lumber will do.

7. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    No way! Potsdam. My grandma lives there. I don't live far from there maybe like 45 mins. maybe you heard of it I live in Malone. Ya Lowes and HD are really the only places that I can think of other than Ward Lumber but I think that it'll be expensive to go through them not sure though.

8. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I have heard of Malone.
    But if you are up there, then yep, use HD or Lowe's, their prices are reasonable. Get an idea of what you will need and go price shopping there and see if you can get a rough idea on cost.
    Then maybe look at Lifetime sheds online and see if they have sheds that will work for a decent price.

9. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    Ok thanks a lot for all the help!!! [​IMG]

10. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    So I have run across a few other problems how on earth do I manage the roof? Im building just a rectangular building but on the long sides of it I'm adding duck pens. So my question is how do I build the roofing so that snow won't be continuously in the pens. And so that it is not a danger. I'm thinking that I will just end up having to shovel the roof off but if there's a way to avoid heights as I'm terrified of them it would be awesome to know of :) thanks in advance

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by