Duck house themes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by archil, Dec 16, 2012.

1. archil

archil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    I'm getting a dog kennel for my ducks to sleep in at night, and I think it would be cute to paint it according to a certain theme, like a little cottage, or a haunted house, to make it look a bit more fun/interesting in our yard.
    Does anyone have any good theme ideas or any tips?

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    [​IMG]

I raise call ducks. They have a 10 ft. by 20 ft. kennel pen with netting over the top. I bought a child's playhouse and painted it and placed wire over windows. Set a 115 gallon pond inground and used landscape rocks around it. There is a submersible horse tank heater in it for winter.. I call mine the Call's Cottage.

[​IMG]

3. archil

archil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Quote: That's really cute, it looks really nice in the snow. My first idea was to paint it like a little cottage. I like the play house idea, I think someone suggested that to me, but i didn't need that much room.

I would so love to have a little pond for them, but we don't have enough room in our back yard, which is the one we use. W're thinking of getting a retaining wall for our front yard and a good privacy fence, because right now its on a really big slope right next to the road. It's about three or four times bigger than our back yard and I feel like it's such a a waste just having it there, mowing it every week and never using it.
    When we get that don we'll probably get a little pond.
    Right now we just have a large kids paddling pool. Which seems to be holdinig up pretty well.

The kennel we're going to use still hasn't arrived in the mail and I'm getting super tense about it, I think I'll cry from excitement when it gets here.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by