1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck house

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tjrod2013, Apr 30, 2016.

1. tjrod2013

tjrod2013 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    Fresno
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hi all! So my husband and I made this for our dog three years ago, and he has not spent a single night in it lol. It just sits in our backyard, and I was thinking that with some simple modifications, it would make a great duck house. I'm thinking of putting a latching door on the front so I can lock the babies up at night, since my dog sleeps in the house, and won't be outside to deter any nocturnal predators. I was also thinking of hinging the roof and making a side access door for easier cleaning. I'll also put windows,either on the roof or on the sides, lined with hardware cloth so nothing can reach in and hurt the babies. I also welcome any suggestions you may have on how to modify this dog house. And also, for now I have two ducklings coming to me later this week. Don't know the exact measurements of this dog house, but we made it for a 100lb dog. How many ducks do you think will fit comfortably in here overnight? Is it big enough for two?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    That all sounds good/useful.my first duck house was a dog house kit from lowes w a hinged roof. I hosed it daily and just had it sloped to drain out the door.
    Easy cleaning has been the main thing for each later house build.

1 person likes this.
  3. tjrod2013

tjrod2013 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    Fresno
    Yea, my main thing is that I want to be able to get in there and clean it out as quickly as I can lol. I plan on putting straw in there for insulation/nesting for the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by