1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Duck house

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Teckus, May 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Teckus

Teckus In the Brooder

Jan 13, 2018
    Southwest Wisconsin
    Hey i just got 3 ducklings, blue swedish, blue indian runner, and a cayuga. I was looking at dog houses and was wondering which dog house is good for a runner duck mostly since it is bigger

Duckstail likes this.
  2. Duckstail

Duckstail Songster

Apr 17, 2018
    That sounds like an amazingly cute Trio! A picture is required!!!

By bigger you mean taller? Cuz Runners are typically lighter-weight then some of the breeds out there.

Here's the thing my friend are you going to stop at 3 ducks? Mmmmm prrrroooobbaaabbllyyyy mmaayyybbeee not? Mmmm tough one!
    Straight run? What you going to do if it's two drakes and one female?

Kind of depends how many you're going to have! if you're set on only having three pretty much any a little dog house will do! Obviously the plastic ones are nice cuz you can wash it out and clean it very good.

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

I use an extra large insulated Dog house..

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member 8 Years

Has to have a door so they can be locked up at night, and good ventilation for air flow, are they going to be in a secure run with a dog house. If so run needs to be covered in hardware cloth top bottom and at least 3'up sides. This will keep diggers climbers and fliers out. Chicken wire will keep birds in but not predators out. You can use chicken wire on sides, but it will have to be covered for maximum protection. a lot of work and expense but if you have a lot of preds it worth it in the long run to have safe birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: