Duck house

My2butterflies

Crowing
Apr 14, 2020
Minnesota
Hey everyone🙂
We were planning on getting ducks next year(ancona) but of course as it usually happens we got a couple(pekin) a couple weeks ago🙈
They were the last two at the store. We will still plan to add a couple anconas and only keep 4 ducks total.
I spent the day yesterday clearing out their future duck house. It’s a 9’ x 7.5’ shed. That should be big enough for 4 ducks, right?
Ive been trying to get an idea on what the inside setup should look like, but I’m having trouble finding anything. When I search, people just show pictures of their duck ponds and runs. Is it because a duck house is essentially empty inside?

I’ve been reading the sticky’s but would still love to hear from other duck owners.

What kind of nest boxes do you have? Do they like an enclosed box like chickens or open top?
I just use cat litter boxes and my girls always lay in them

Attachments

• 20210321_121942.jpg
    20210321_121942.jpg
    645.8 KB · Views: 31
Essentially, the inside is usually empty. Though, I've seen people put straw bales around the perimeter of the inside of the coop with open spaces, so the ducks and hop on them, for fun, nesting, and, well I guess that would be the only use for them lol!
Then when the outsides of the bales get start to get soiled, you open the bale and spread it through the coop. I would try that if my duck coop had walls, which I plan to put on ASAP.
If you have nay other questions, feel free to ask!

I just use cat litter boxes and my girls always lay in them
Nice! I have a few litter boxes laying around now I can have a purpose for them! Thank you:)
Do yourself a favor and keep the food and water out of their house.
Yes, after having them in the brooder I can only imagine the upkeep needed if I kept food and water in the coop😖
I want to make a covered feeding station outside the duck house somewhat near where their pond will be. Of course I’m sure there will be times food and water will be needed in the coop so I want to try and come up with a way I can do that without it making a horrible mess. I do have an idea in mind.....I need to sketch it out.
Essentially, the inside is usually empty. Though, I've seen people put straw bales around the perimeter of the inside of the coop with open spaces, so the ducks and hop on them, for fun, nesting, and, well I guess that would be the only use for them lol!
Then when the outsides of the bales get start to get soiled, you open the bale and spread it through the coop. I would try that if my duck coop had walls, which I plan to put on ASAP.
If you have nay other questions, feel free to ask!
That’s and interesting idea. That might be a good idea for winter to give more insulation. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom