Duck House

jenniemig

Songster
5 Years
Jan 28, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Can some of you seasoned duck owners give me tips on an ideal duck house for my three?

I am building a coop for my 8 chicks, but want something separate for the ducks. The coop is 4'X6' and the run is 12'X12' plus another 4'X6' area behind the coop. I do plan to add on to the run as I can afford to. I want to have the coop on one side of the run, and the ducks house on the opposite side. The run will be available to them 24/7, and they will be allowed to free range a few hours a day while I can watch them.

Ideas, suggestions, and pictures would be GREAT!

Can some of you seasoned duck owners give me tips on an ideal duck house for my three?

I am building a coop for my 8 chicks, but want something separate for the ducks. The coop is 4'X6' and the run is 12'X12' plus another 4'X6' area behind the coop. I do plan to add on to the run as I can afford to. I want to have the coop on one side of the run, and the ducks house on the opposite side. The run will be available to them 24/7, and they will be allowed to free range a few hours a day while I can watch them.

Ideas, suggestions, and pictures would be GREAT!
You might get some ideas on this thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/55358/duck-houses
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/178796/what-does-your-duck-house-look-like
Heres another link

Some things to think about Poultry wire isn't any good for keep put predators.1/2" hardware cloth is better to use. over windows and on the run. and burying into the ground to keep out diggers. the top should be covered also if they are going to be in the run during daylight.I don't have a run but just recently Finny lost one of his ducks to a hawk that came in from the top. You can pick up windows at places like Habitat resale store for 3.00 or less.

Last edited:
You might get some ideas on this thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/55358/duck-houses
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/178796/what-does-your-duck-house-look-like
Heres another link

Some things to think about Poultry wire isn't any good for keep put predators.1/2" hardware cloth is better to use. over windows and on the run. and burying into the ground to keep out diggers. the top should be covered also if they are going to be in the run during daylight.I don't have a run but just recently Finny lost one of his ducks to a hawk that came in from the top. You can pick up windows at places like Habitat resale store for 3.00 or less.
All of the run will be covered with chicken wire with added welded wire or wooden picket fence at the bottom 4' to keep the dogs out. I will also have the welded wire skirting the bottom 24" out to prevent digging. The run is going to be bordered with 4'X8'X12" planter boxes. Since my chickens and ducks aren't going to be at home, but at my business (I have 3 acres) my predator issue is tricky...We have 2 yard dogs, one of whom, not sure which one, kills anything she can get a hold of. Squirrels, cats, raccoons, etc...So, she'll take care of anything that comes onto the property, but I have to make sure to keep her out of the run and coop at night when they (the dogs) roam free.

All of the run will be covered with chicken wire with added welded wire or wooden picket fence at the bottom 4' to keep the dogs out. I will also have the welded wire skirting the bottom 24" out to prevent digging. The run is going to be bordered with 4'X8'X12" planter boxes. Since my chickens and ducks aren't going to be at home, but at my business (I have 3 acres) my predator issue is tricky...We have 2 yard dogs, one of whom, not sure which one, kills anything she can get a hold of. Squirrels, cats, raccoons, etc...So, she'll take care of anything that comes onto the property, but I have to make sure to keep her out of the run and coop at night when they (the dogs) roam free.
Sounds like it should be secure, never underestimate the determination of a pred or dog though when building. securing a run. Hopefully you can get some ideas from the 2 links I gave you. I think it would be a nice idea if we could interview everyone that posted pics to see what they have learned since putting up their coops/runs just to see who lost what and what they would do different now.
Doing it right the first time may cost more but sure can keep one from heart ache and having to start over later. You'll have to share pics when you get started.

Sounds like it should be secure, never underestimate the determination of a pred or dog though when building. securing a run. Hopefully you can get some ideas from the 2 links I gave you. I think it would be a nice idea if we could interview everyone that posted pics to see what they have learned since putting up their coops/runs just to see who lost what and what they would do different now.
Doing it right the first time may cost more but sure can keep one from heart ache and having to start over later. You'll have to share pics when you get started.
Miss Lydia your set up is fabulous! I will get there one day:)

My coop is going to be cottage style. I am using a free greenhouse frame that I found on craigslist. I went to a local mom and pop lumber yard, where we buy most of our lumber, asking about siding. They ended up giving me a bunch of fiber cement siding for free! Since I don't need perfect pieces they gave me all of their broken and chipped stock. He said to come back next week and he'll probably have more. For the roof I am going to use the fiberglass polarized panels from Lowes. They allow lots of light in, but are tinted and reflect the heat. After doing some research I found that a shingle roof would be too hot in the summer. I will cutsie it up with windows and flower boxes and a nice paint job. I found a nice coral colored exterior paint on the oops rack at Lowes the other day. I am going to go back and see if it is still there. I want to make a miniature copy of the coop for the ducks that will sit on the opposite side of the run.

How high off of the ground should it be?

Do they need nest boxes?

What kind of bedding?

Miss Lydia your set up is fabulous! I will get there one day:)

My coop is going to be cottage style. I am using a free greenhouse frame that I found on craigslist. I went to a local mom and pop lumber yard, where we buy most of our lumber, asking about siding. They ended up giving me a bunch of fiber cement siding for free! Since I don't need perfect pieces they gave me all of their broken and chipped stock. He said to come back next week and he'll probably have more. For the roof I am going to use the fiberglass polarized panels from Lowes. They allow lots of light in, but are tinted and reflect the heat. After doing some research I found that a shingle roof would be too hot in the summer. I will cutsie it up with windows and flower boxes and a nice paint job. I found a nice coral colored exterior paint on the oops rack at Lowes the other day. I am going to go back and see if it is still there. I want to make a miniature copy of the coop for the ducks that will sit on the opposite side of the run.

How high off of the ground should it be?

Do they need nest boxes?

What kind of bedding?
Thank you for the compliment, ducks aren't crazy about walking up ramps but in 2 of my houses we have them, and as long as they are wide enough mine don't have a problem with them,Both of these are a foot off the ground and then the one ramp is a foot wide the other one is 3 foot wide. if you can slope the ramp enough they won't have a steep climb at all. my other house steps and they do fine with steps too. My inside has stalls since I have too may drakes to have everyone sleeping in one big area. and the girls just choose a stall and lay their eggs. I use pine flake shaving. [deep litter] a couple of my ducks will lay in a chicken nest box once in a while too. But they don't really need a"nest box" forgot to add how nice was that to be able to get that siding perfect score on that one, We made out too, our son was working construction and brought us home all kinds of scrap lumber that was going to be hauled to the dump so we were able to use most of it to cover the outside of our house. [duck house that is]

Last edited:
Thank you for the compliment, ducks aren't crazy about walking up ramps but in 2 of my houses we have them, and as long as they are wide enough mine don't have a problem with them,Both of these are a foot off the ground and then the one ramp is a foot wide the other one is 3 foot wide. if you can slope the ramp enough they won't have a steep climb at all. my other house steps and they do fine with steps too. My inside has stalls since I have too may drakes to have everyone sleeping in one big area. and the girls just choose a stall and lay their eggs. I use pine flake shaving. [deep litter] a couple of my ducks will lay in a chicken nest box once in a while too. But they don't really need a"nest box" forgot to add how nice was that to be able to get that siding perfect score on that one, We made out too, our son was working construction and brought us home all kinds of scrap lumber that was going to be hauled to the dump so we were able to use most of it to cover the outside of our house. [duck house that is]
Thanks!
So, I'll put the duck house about 8" off of the ground and make them a wide ramp.
I'll be using pine shavings for the chickens nest boxes and the ducks bedding as well.
Lastly, I won't worry about nest boxes for the ducks, just deep bedding.

Thanks!
So, I'll put the duck house about 8" off of the ground and make them a wide ramp.
I'll be using pine shavings for the chickens nest boxes and the ducks bedding as well.
Lastly, I won't worry about nest boxes for the ducks, just deep bedding.
Mine love deep bedding and it's so easy to keep clean all you have to do is scoop the poop off the top and fluff the bedding, I usually top off about every 2 weeks.

I may be calling it by the wrong name. It is a very heavy wire fence that has 2"x4" openings. It will be going over the bottom 4 feet of poultry wire. I will either use that or a wood picket fence. I'd prefer the wood but it depends on cost.

Back
Top Bottom