Duck House

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gabriellecora, Feb 18, 2015.

1. gabriellecora

gabriellecora Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2015
    Hello-
    This is my first thread and first run at the backyard farm! In a few weeks I have 6 hen hatchlings and 2 pekin lady hatchlings coming my way. We bought a 6x6 coop for the hens. I later decided I would like to try a few ducks as well. I am looking at dog house type things to house the ducks at night so they have our own space from the hens. The one I am looking at is 21x29 inches. Is this going to be big enough for the 2 of them at night? We do have a run going in as well. This is going to measure about 16x10ft.
    This is my first time for all of this and any insight or suggestions would be so helpful! The kids and I are beyond excited about our new adventure and I just really want to make sure all these ladies are happy and comfortable with us : )

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    So it's 29 inches long and 21in wide? possibly, Pekin are pretty big birds... that said mine seem to cuddle all together at night.. though mine are in a stall in my mini duck barn..

The pen is secure? so the house is just for bad weather, laying?

[​IMG]

3. gabriellecora

gabriellecora Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2015
    Hi-
    That is correct. We will have a secured run, but I was thinking about getting them their own little house to go in at night as opposed to sharing the coop with the chickens. 29in long, 21wide and 26 height. It is all hard to visualize as a first timer, I appreciate the feedback!

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I agree probably a good idea, i actually do not house my poultry together that said the chickens who free range end up "somehow" in the duck barn now and then..

Frankly, the ducks prefer not to have the clucks company....

Again i think that sizing should be okay... it's only two so they will likely cuddle in when needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by