Duck house

andrea1215

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2015
We have two Pekins, two Rouens, two Cayugas, two Blue Swedish, two Welsh Harlequins and two Buff geese coming our way in a couple of weeks. We are working on their house, just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the size needed. We have come up with a few ideas, but not sure on how much square footage they will need. I know that Storey's Guide recommends 2-6 sq ft per bird, but don't want to over do or under do it. Thanks!

We have two Pekins, two Rouens, two Cayugas, two Blue Swedish, two Welsh Harlequins and two Buff geese coming our way in a couple of weeks. We are working on their house, just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the size needed. We have come up with a few ideas, but not sure on how much square footage they will need. I know that Storey's Guide recommends 2-6 sq ft per bird, but don't want to over do or under do it. Thanks!
How exciting!! I just got in 10 ducklings from metzer farms a bit ago, and they are all so cute! I have them in my bedroom (along with 40 chick gotten around the same time) and it is so fun to watch them grow up right by the bed!

anyways, sorry, back to the question. With my adult ducks that i have, i give each about 4 square feet and they do good. The more the better though. I would never do any less than 4, 2 seems extremely tight. 6 would be good, and keep the coop cleaner. Are they free range/pastured or are the cooped up/in a run? If they only have a run or the coop, i would give extra room. mine are free range and 4 is good, but if they were in there all the time, i would double it.

Geese i would give 6 each at the least. hope this works! Good luck!

Thanks cityfarmer12! We are buying ours from Metzer's too. They will have a fenced in area to run around in during the day, we are thinking anywhere from 600-1200 sq ft. They will stay in the house with us in their brooder, for the first six weeks.

Thanks cityfarmer12! We are buying ours from Metzer's too. They will have a fenced in area to run around in during the day, we are thinking anywhere from 600-1200 sq ft. They will stay in the house with us in their brooder, for the first six weeks.
your welcome! thanks cool...i've had good luck with them! This last order from them i lost two due a delay at the post office (they took a whole extra day to get here) but we called and they immediately sent me 2 replacements :) I like them.

that sounds like a good sized run...4 square feet will be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom