1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Duck housing, can they house with chickens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by eggboy, Apr 10, 2012.

1. eggboy

eggboy Songster

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    I am likely going to be getting a couple of ducklings soon, I want hens but you never know for sure. I will probably only get two ducks. Will the ducks pick on or be picked on by my chickens? I have four RIR's and two banty's, all hens. Can they live in the same coop/run or will I have to build a seperate shelter/house? I free range during the day when I am home but they still have to be locked up sometimes. Thanks for any information.

2. callahanfarmgirl

callahanfarmgirl Chirping

Apr 4, 2011
    Callahan
    I am new to ducks!! I have 9 1yr old hens & have recently gotten 4 ducklings. My hens free range so when my ducklings were a few weeks old I threw together a "day pen" in the middle of my yard so everyone could see each other but the ducklings were safe. At night I put the ducks in a wire dog crate inside the coop. Now that the ducks are about 10 weeks old & about full size I am letting them free range with the hens and everything is going great!!!
    I live in Fl so cold weather is not an issue.

3. Apyl

Apyl Songster

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I have my ducklings and chicks together and plan to keep them that way. I free range when I'm outside and have a large run for when I'm not. So far everyone gets along just fine for 24 chicks all 6 weeks old and 8 ducklings of various ages.

4. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Songster

Feb 21, 2012
    My ducks and chicken are housed together. My chicks and duckling too. I have not had any problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by