Duck Housing

Patty724

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2017
With winter approaching and temps tonight going into the 40's I've tried to make sure my ducks will stay warm. We've built their "duck house" using the camper shell off my husbands truck. Wood shavings are in abundance, but they don't seem to want to go in their house. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance for your help! My ducks thank you too!! :)

We have khaki campbells and rouens, and they are very hesistant with any change in their environment and it will take them a few days to get used to anything new in their area. Temperatures in the 40s may seem fairly cool to us, but it is comfy weather when it comes to ducks and their very insulating down feathers. We use hay for bedding and they are just fine with that....their pen is under the chicken coop, but they each have a separate yard. Ducks don't require anything very elaborate at all, but with predators around I pen them at night for my peace of mind...but they would do just fine sleeping on the hill in their yard. I wouldn't worry or fret over it as far as the temp is concerned, as long as they are safe from any predator.....:)

Thank you so much for your words of comfort. I was worried sick about my boys. Their "house" is surrounded by chicken wire to protect them from any predators. I had 3 drakes and a fox got one, when they were allowed to sleep freely at night. They've gotten a little better about getting in their pen at night, but still remain near the fence and not in/under their home. Recently when hurricane Irma came through Georgia, I tried everything to get them to take shelter in/under their "home" Obviously they survived, so I'll go on their surviving Irma and your words of experience to ease my worries. :)
Thanks again!

I also provide my ducks with shelter from the wind, so a wind break on the side of their pen where the wind is most prevalent could make for better conditions for your ducks as winter comes on.

Back
Top Bottom