1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck Housing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sid, Mar 14, 2011.

1. sid

sid New Egg

Mar 14, 2011
    Hi Can Anyone Give Advice On Housing Just Starting Up And Having Trouble Finding Info My Husband Is Building A 2m Long X 1m Wide X 1m High Duck House And I Want To Know How Many Ducks It Can Comfortably Hold, Probably Silver Appleyards Or Buff Orpingtons. They Will Be Free Range And Is Only For Shelter/ Night Protection.

Any Advice/experience On These Breeds Also Gratefully Recieved.

2. HamandLily

HamandLily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    England, UK
    I'd say that size could only hold 2-3 Silver Appleyards are they are so huge!

3. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Unless you lock your ducks in at night, they're hardly EVER going to use that shelter. Mine sit out in below zero (F) weather with wind and snow whipping all around them, when they could be comfortably seated in a nice barn built just for them. They don't care.

I use the barn mostly for chickens and my two goats now. [​IMG]

4. HamandLily

HamandLily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    England, UK
    Quote:Not necessarily - my girls like to sit inside sometimes, and one of them likes sitting on her next a lot [​IMG]

5. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    True, but they don't use it as a "shelter" really, they just chill out in there occasionally. [​IMG]
    Mine do anyway!
    As long as they have a shelter, I wouldn't worry too much. Ducks are really hardy. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  6. Duck Mad

Duck Mad Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Rugby
    Quote:Hello there, On this video link at 1.17 is where two of my ducks sleep at night, that is just a rabbit hutch 1 meter by just over 2ft .. There is more than enough room for them to get comfy and walk about, I'd say 4 in your size duck house, as long as they can comfy walk around each other to pick where they want to sit, they will be happy... the pen around their shelter is where they love to be, When all gates are open to free range, they are forever back their pen.. Ducks are very sociable and love to sit cuddled up close together relaxing.. Where as chickens would rather be scratching around etc and probably wouldnt apprieate the small area

7. kaumlauf

kaumlauf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Dear "Duck Keeper",
    This is good news to me, that your ducks like to stay put, even in cold weather. What kind are they? Won't they migrate south? And how do you keep them safe from fox, weasels and the like?
    Thanks, Katt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by