Duck Housing?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DemonFeyLove, Dec 9, 2013.

1. DemonFeyLove

DemonFeyLove New Egg

Dec 9, 2013
    I am very very new to all poultry raising really and we have chickens right now ^.^ they're so cute! Eventually I would like to expand out to ducks, however I am not sure the best way to house them. Most of the pictures I have seen on google are very very simple essentially dog houses. Would it be okay to maybe make something similar to a chicken coop for the ducks? I read that it would need extra ventilation but I feel like a coop of sorts would be a nicer environment for the ducks, but I know nothing about ducks so I'm a little unsure if that would be true. I apologize for so many questions :3

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    My ducks, turkeys and chickens all live in the same coop. The ducks go in and out of the pop door, eat out of the same feeder, and drink out of the same waterer. In short, they get no different treatment than the chickens.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    To a point just don't go as high most ducks don't like to navigate ramps and pitched entries. I have a couple different styles of duck coops, barns.. depends on the flock.. as said basic needs just like chickens, draft free, well vented... pred safe.

4. BlackAce

BlackAce Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    What do you feed them? Right now I give both my ducks and chickens separate feed. I'd like to give them a single feed for both. I've been reading that medicated chicken feed shouldn't been given to ducks.

5. duckboy123

duckboy123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    clinton ohio
    make sure there is a way for them to get out of the building without ramps the hate being cooped up and don"t like going up and down ramps

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I feed the whole flock an All Flock formula that is 18% protein. I then have a separate feeder just for oyster shell so the layers can help themselves to the calcium they need. I only feed medicated feed to chicks until they are a few weeks old and at that point they are in a nursery or grow out pen. By the time they graduate to the main coop they don't need the medicated food any more anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by