Duck identification and advice welcome

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovelylavender, Sep 5, 2016.

1. lovelylavender

lovelylavender New Egg

Sep 5, 2016
    Hi everyone,

I admit I far from being an expert on ducks and to be perfectly honest, this is my very first duck. What I am is a mother of two girls who love animals as I do and this little one was almost roadkill and saved by us. I looked to find the mother but no one in close vicinity has ducks that I know of so this duckling became our family pet. My daughters are fully aware if the duck decides to fly away it is what nature intended to happen, but if the duck decided to stay he/she is welcome.

With that being said, he/she follows me around the fenced in backyard and when loses site of me starts chirping loudly then makes a mad dash to me when I'm spotted. I think I became mama duck lol. Maybe because i go out every morning to help dig up worms and find bugs in addition to his/her regular food? Jumping on my lap or sitting next to me gives me another clue but has me wondering if this is a duck or a cat.

Anyway, here is a picture of our rescue, "Quackers." The day we got it in the later part of July and how he/she has grown to this point. I have absolutely no clue if it is male or female or even what breed it is. Can someone help me? Thank you in advance. :) Any advice is welcome too as I am new to this.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Ghibli

Ghibli Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Hi! You've got a Muscovy! I'm afraid I'm not good at all at telling the gender on them. Size is a big indicator, males get to be about twice the size as females, but I imagine would be harder to tell when you've only got one. Thickness of legs and how far apart they are, I have two female Muscovies and they pretty often step on their own feet because of how close together they are.
    Very cute! You'll be able to figure it out once they're older at least, hopefully someone else who knows better than me can help.

It's very good of you to have saved them! Such a tiny thing, lucky that you were around to help. Ducks are very social animals, they get very attached to whoever they consider their flock, and when raised alone they can end up thinking they're a human, not a duck. It sounds like you're doing alright with them, it's easiest to have two or more, just because they can get so upset about being alone, so if they have much time alone it may be worth considering getting them a buddy.

If you've got any other questions I can try to answer :) I'm pretty new to ducks still, but I've learned a lot in looking after them and reading up on them. I love my ducks, Muscovies are so sweet and fun to watch, they're a lot more endearing and complex than I expected when I got them.

1 person likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Not sure where the Muscovy comes into play?

Looks like any other Cute duckling posted...Until its feathers come in? Who knows?
    I rescued Two Ducklings this summer....Helped out a local lady....Thought the one was a Hen...It is a Drake....The other turned out to be a Call/Pekin cross...
    Not sure who could really sex or breed the Duckling by looking at your pictures?

Post more once it feathers out and gets some colour....

Cheers!

4. Ghibli

Ghibli Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Muscovies have a different body shape than other ducks. They're not even technically ducks. They sound different, different body language, they get along fine with ducks and have a lot of similarities, but they are very distinct. You won't see a tail like that on a mallard derived duck, the bill is different too. And I believe you can tell gender at that age, it's just a bit difficult and perhaps not as accurate.

1 person likes this.
  5. chickens really

Good luck....All I see, my friends here see, is a Duckling....Too young yet...

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Muscovy![​IMG]

7. lovelylavender

lovelylavender New Egg

Sep 5, 2016
    Thank you for your comments but I think a few people were only seeing the very first photo I posted of the young duckling. Here is the one taken today. (below) The duck has many feathers in this pic. Chocolate brownish on the chest but the feathers on top look grayish on the wings and body. Hope this helps with me making it larger.

[​IMG]

8. chickens really

Still.....A very cute Duckling.....Why people are saying Muscovy is beyond me?
    You need to wait weeks to know what it is?? Like 9 to 12 weeks...Sounds like a long time...Who cares what it is? As long as you like it?

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  9. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Gorgeous Muscovy!! :love

Ghibli made great points on distinguishing Muscovies from mallard derived ducks... also, you can see the thick line around the base of the bill that is the beginning of the trademark 'scovy mask...

Great rescue... you have a bonded friend for life... :)

1 person likes this.
  10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

It's a Muscovy, no doubt. Tell me how much it weighs and I can probably tell you if it's male or female.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by