Duck Identification

Photokitty

Chirping
Jul 6, 2017
Marlinton, West Virginia
I inherited 41 chickens and 5 ducks. I never wanted ducks, was really against it... Now in less than a week, I am in love. No eggs that I can tell from them, they don't go into the chicken coop so I am not sure if I am mistaking larger or jumbo eggs for duck eggs. Or if they are somehow going under the coop (there is access for them and I have seen them under there before) and laying a clutch. We put in a dogloo for them and do you think they used it last night? Nope. We had to catch all 41 new chickens and put them into the coop last night because they had been spending the nights outside in the cold wet weather and I wasn't going to have that anymore.

So since I know absolutely nothing about ducks besides that they need a watering bowl deep enough to dip their head in, I was wondering if you can identify these breeds and who is a male and who is a female (I have 3 females and 2 males). I know the white one is a Peking and I think the brown one is a Rouen (it has blue stripe on its wing). The other three I have no idea. They all three have green bills. They are hilarious and quack at any light at night.

IMG_2840.jpg

The brown one is a female Rouen, the others I can't say for sure, but the white one looks like it is a call duck and not a true Pekin...the others may be Swedish blues....but, we have Rouens and Khaki Campbells and I've not been around any others to speak of other than mallards and wood ducks in the wild. The size and head on the white one is why I don't think it is a true Pekin.

The brown one is a female Rouen, the others I can't say for sure, but the white one looks like it is a call duck and not a true Pekin...the others may be Swedish blues....but, we have Rouens and Khaki Campbells and I've not been around any others to speak of other than mallards and wood ducks in the wild. The size and head on the white one is why I don't think it is a true Pekin.

What's a call duck? Could it be a cross?

It is my understanding that a call duck is similar to a bantam in the chicken realm. I'm unsure of how they are developed in crossing to achieve them, but just as there are bantams of full size breeds, I believe there are call ducks of full size breeds too....but don't quote me on that. I am 100% sure on the brown one though, because I have 5 hens and a drake here of Rouens. Sorry I couldn't be of very much help to ya, and hope someone more knowledgeable chimes in for ya...:)

Blk Swedish and blue Swedish the white does look to be Call. I don't see a curled tail feather to recognize a drake in the group, other than curled tail feather the females quack loud and the drakes have a very raspy quack.

Just my opinion though I would herd all in at night for their safety eventually the chickens should go in on their own but it may take herding to get the ducks inside but predators are relentless and will climb over fencing dig under and go through to get a tasty duck.
curled tail feathers on a drake

Blk Swedish and blue Swedish the white does look to be Call. I don't see a curled tail feather to recognize a drake in the group, other than curled tail feather the females quack loud and the drakes have a very raspy quack.

Just my opinion though I would herd all in at night for their safety eventually the chickens should go in on their own but it may take herding to get the ducks inside but predators are relentless and will climb over fencing dig under and go through to get a tasty duck.
X2

image.jpeg
In the first picture the white one looks tiny. It is the tallest one. This is a much better picture. I now have a dogloo converted to a coop for them in the enclosed run. No eggs that I can find yet. They are in the run so not too many places to hide them unless they are laying and they are smaller eggs.

The black and white one in the back by the post I'd say is a drake but may be a hen.
The other black and white one and the blue and white one are drakes.
They don't appear to be pure swedish to me. Too much white.
Brown id say is a Rouen hen. Although kinda looks like its possibly a drake in eclipse plumage.
No comment on white one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom