Duck in heavy molt and the other ducks have pulled her wing feathers o

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PlumTuckered, Jan 15, 2011.

1. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    My 16 month old Pekin is in a heavy molt, the ducks pulled her wing feathers out in the night, at least I think that's what happened. All of her long feathers are out, the quick/quill is still there, 2 have blood on them. It also looks like they've nibbled on the short feathers on the lower section of her wing leaving bald spots. Any advice? Will her feathers grow back? I've seperated her and of course her and the others are having a fit over the seperation but I'm scared that they'll continue to pick at her (if I'm right in assuming they pulled the feathers). No sign of any critters getting into the pen, plus it happened in their tightly closed up duck house. No sign of mice, no bugs...I'm so worried about her and so stunned by this. I've had ducks for almost two years and never a problem like this.

Michelle

2. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

poor baby ~~ wish I could help~~ someone will know and answer ~~~~ [​IMG]

3. afeatherfan

afeatherfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    wv
    Keep her away from the others she will be fine and will get her feathers back.

4. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I've got her seperated from the others but they can see eachother. She's eating, playing, acting totally normal but it breaks my heart to see her like this. Tonight I went out and gave them all 10 minutes together for their treat time and my Scovy Hen Scooter was singing to my Pekin Gal then stuck her neck out and tugged at her poor wing with her bill. My Scovy Hen is always rough housing with the other ducks and they put up with her then walk away when they've had enough, however my little Pekin Gal is very passive and let's the others do whatever they want to her. I'm trying to get the funds together to buy her a Diaper Harness and bring her into the house. I have one Duck Pen and one very large Chicken Yard but at this point I don't want any of them near her with the blood showing. I really need to get a few more Scovies for Scooter.

Thank you for letting me know her feathers will grow back...I was nervous about them being pulled out rather than falling out normally. I still can't believe the little booger is heavily molting in this winter weather we're having.

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by