Duck in love with chicken ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by maus, Jan 30, 2008.

1. maus

maus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Florida
    My drake has bonded with one of my hens. I got a female duck for him, and he ignores her. If I separate the hen from him, he paces and cries until I put her back in the poultry pen. Will he ever get over her and fall in love with his own species? I havent seen him try to breed anything yet, and he is probably about 9 months old. I know...this sounds like the plot for a romance novel Lol

2. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    one of my drakes did the same thing ( but he had his eye on two hens ) - at first it was cute until he reached that ' age " and tried breeding them - I got him a nice little girl duck and at first all he did was walk away from her. I made a duck only yard and took both my drakes and girl duck and put them in there with thier house,pool and everything - he paced for awhile but than started breeding my female duck - everyone once in awhile he gets excitied if one oh his hens gets near his yard but thats about it - lately he has not really seemed to notice the hens anymore.

Julie

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would put him in with the female duck and be done with it. He will get over it. It is no different than when breaking a broody hen. You lock her out of the nest, take her eggs and let her squawk till it's over and done.

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree , nicely and simply put Missprissy.....my Muscovie tried to mate my rooster [​IMG] talk about a confused roo ~

5. deeszoo

deeszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    I had a rooster in love with my ducks. It took a while, but he finally got over it!

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    When my ducks and geese were young, this one rooster was constantly 'drilling' them every chance he got. Now they have grown much bigger than the rooster, but they haven't forgotten. They constantly run him off and pinch him.

7. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    I jist wanna know will the eggs hatch deeps or pucklings and will they grow to be dickens or chucks [​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist.

8. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I've herd of this before on another forum. How old is the duck? Is she of breeding age? I'm sure he will soon relize he is a duck and not a chicken.

Just give him time, or like people said before me you could always just take the hen away and "be done with it".

~LowCountry Poultry

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I have a little runner drake who is mated with a tall white chinese goose.
    He is not interested in the other ducks here. I would separate them more gently. Introduce female ducks and then as he shows interest, lock the hen away from him.

10. humptydumpty

humptydumpty Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2008
    Brandon,MS
    I wonder what a (chuck/duckin) would look like?
    (chicken and duck)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by