Duck in Puppy Phase

AliMcG

Chirping
May 21, 2021
Hi all

My little runner duck is now almost 8 months old. He's become a house duck and a minor celebrity 😄.
Just wondering if ducks go through a 'Puppy Phase' or will he be a mini terrorist forever.
He's got a checky nature and loves to get into everything

Love the description of your boy!

None of my runners has ever gone through a terrorist phase, but I have a goose who will never reform. Some critters just make life more interesting!

There will always be a price to pay for keeping a duck in the house.
I suppose you have the same view of all domestic animals that live with there humans?
He's simply playing, not acting out for lack of exercise

Love the description of your boy!

None of my runners has ever gone through a terrorist phase, but I have a goose who will never reform. Some critters just make life more interesting!
He has to investigate and be involved in everything. Has his whirlwind hour then falls asleep at my feet, then goes off to terrorise something else for an hour, and the pattern repeats all day 🥰

I have two ducks for the first time. They are now also about eight months old, I understand your question, but I can't answer it just yet.

I am very happy that our ducks live in the garden. Don't get me wrong I think they are super sweet but yeah, they steal vegetables from the vegetable garden, they drink from our dog's water bowl (sometimes while the dog is drinking :confused: ) and then they knock it over. One of them recently bit our dog's nose. They knock over the food bowl just before I want to put it down. Oh yeah and they poop everywhere which is fine but I can't see myself watching a movie with them on the couch 😇

By the way, do you only have one duck? Ducks actually need a duck buddy, that could also make a difference in behavior. (Or you end up with two terror ducks🥰)

I have two ducks for the first time. They are now also about eight months old, I understand your question, but I can't answer it just yet.

I am very happy that our ducks live in the garden. Don't get me wrong I think they are super sweet but yeah, they steal vegetables from the vegetable garden, they drink from our dog's water bowl (sometimes while the dog is drinking :confused: ) and then they knock it over. One of them recently bit our dog's nose. They knock over the food bowl just before I want to put it down. Oh yeah and they poop everywhere which is fine but I can't see myself watching a movie with them on the couch 😇

By the way, do you only have one duck? Ducks actually need a duck buddy, that could also make a difference in behavior. (Or you end up with two terror ducks🥰)
Yes we only have the one. Its a complicated situation and a long story but the long and short of it is that he's heavily imprinted on me and thinks he's human/dog. Not what we planned but you do what you have to do when a little life is a stake. He won't go near another duck (we have tried to introducehim to his biological family) and pines if separated from me. In the house/office he wears ducky nappies and is the happiest little terror.

Do you have pictures of your duck? I’d love to see him 😍 he sounds like a joy in your house!!!
This is my boy, supervising mummy lol.

Attachments

• 20220112_102211.jpg
    20220112_102211.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom