Duck! (in the house?)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by percyj, Dec 22, 2010.

1. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Just curious, how do people manage to keep there duckies indoor? Don't They require 24/7 watching? And what about swimming? Thanks!!!

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
  3. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    Hmm.....I might just not see it but this seems to be all about ordering diapers and stuff. What I meant was keeping them in a pen in the basement. The bottom is the same texture as walls, if not snoother. Maybe with a kiddie pool ? A corner could be sectioned off with dog panels? And then letting them out to play during the day? It's just an idea.

4. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

My dad would go crazy if I had a duck in the house. [​IMG]

5. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    bahahahahahahaha I have 14 2 week old ducks in my house right now! They bath in the tub.

6. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    Quote:Niiicce!!!

7. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    It's easy to keep ducks indoors. They swim in the sink or bathtub, and they can live in the garage. They don't require 24/7 care. It's the same as if they were outside, only they dont swim in a pond. [​IMG]

8. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i had mine inside for 7 months. i layed sheets on my floor in my room, they had a kids playpen for their bed, my hen hatched eggs in there lol, and we had bath time everyday. i kinda miss having them inside and i think my drake misses it too

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have had ducks inside the house for about 14 months now. Mostly only babies until they are grown enough to go outside- but I also care for some disabled ducks. Ollie is currently molting, so a have in a room with a lino floor for ease of cleaning at the moment. He lives in a babies portacot and goes outside on the grass in good weather and has a swim in the bath tub most nights. Being disabled his mobility is poor, so its not like he is wandering around the house. He has a soft dogs bed in his cot with food and water within easy reach.
    A few years ago I also had Harvey inside for 5 months while he underwent treatment to save him from a usually fatal infected reoccuring abcsess in his sinus tract. He had three operations and was on antibioics for 5 months. He was already about 6- 7 weks old when he was rescued, so by the time he was cured he was well and truely grown.

Keeping the smell away is just a matter of cleaning regularly. I currently have 5 brooders and Ollie in the house- so changing the shavings andwashong towels every day is time consuming.

10. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Nettie of course is the best person to ask, ive had ducks in the house before. Charlotte and Jack were in the house from day one till 4 months. After that i didnt have enough tme to spend with them so they went outside with the rest of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by