duck incubation advice (fertile eggs?)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by monkey, Apr 22, 2011.

1. monkey

monkey Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    Hi I have some khaki campbell ducks, and just got an incubator from a friend. I have put four eggs in it, and the temperature is about 99degrees. We have two drakes and four females, and I was wondering if there was any reason why the eggs would or wouldn't be fertile. I also would like any advice or information about incubating and hatching duck eggs.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  2. Karen09

Karen09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2009
    Wyoming, New York
    There are threads all about this on BYC. The main thing I learned from reading them (cause I just put 28 in the incubator) is that you want the humidity higher than for chicken eggs (50 - 60%) and then the last 3 days around 70%. One said she sprays water from a plant-spray-type bottle of water on the eggs from day 4 to day 25. Also if the humidity is low, you can put a wet sponge in and it increases it. Almost too much. These are just a few things I learned from the other threads and from experience in the last few days. As far a fertility, one said if there is a drake, then they are fertile. Some say you need to have some kind of water pool so he can, but other say they will mate on land. I have a small tub 3 ft by 2 ft about 1 ft deep and they mate in there and I have seen him mate on land also. Hope that helps. I will know in about 8 days if they are fertile cause that is when I will be candling them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  3. monkey

Jan 20, 2010
    thanks for the help. How many days do you have to wait before candling them?

4. monkey

Jan 20, 2010
    I was also wondering how often to turn them. I have heard twice a day, but i don't know if this is right.

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:I would turn any eggs an odd number of times, either one if I was pressed for time, three normally. that way the same side isn't 'up' all night every night.

6. Karen09

Karen09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2009
    Wyoming, New York
    Quote:Many of the posts here said to candle at least day 4 or 5 but it is better to wait til day 7. I have also heard to wait til day 10. They also said you should only candle 3 times. I can't wait to have my friend come over and show me how to candle. I have read how, but it would be nice to have someone who is experienced helping. [​IMG]

7. monkey

Jan 20, 2010
    What should the humidity be? Someone in this forum posted 50-60%, but I have read 80% online. right now they are at 55%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by