1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Duck incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kesrchicky16, Jan 10, 2018.

1. kesrchicky16

kesrchicky16 Songster

Dec 13, 2016
    Ok so I'm trying to distract myself during my first lockdown. I plan on doing some of my duck eggs in the spring but can't seem to find the "How details".

Chicken eggs = 99.5° F, 35% day 1-18, 60% day 18-21+, turn until lockdown on day 18

Duck eggs seem harder so do they need more or less humidity? I know they need ?28? days. Logic says temp is the same and turning. Are thing close enough to the same needs that you can incubate chicks and duckling together or different enough that it really is advised to do them separately?

My son is in 2nd grade and they do chicken life cycle in science and incubate eggs. The teacher struggles and I have offered to set the same day as her as a insurance policy for the kids to see babies. She may have pheasant eggs this year since they go to the local pheasant hatchery for a field trip every year. I take some of my "petable" chickens for the 2nd graders to see a mama. I thought it might be cool to have a few ducklings for that experience too. Hopefully I get some broody ducks to set with too.

@Ravynscroft @WVduckchick

atomic and WVduckchick like this.
  2. Lauren Kim

Lauren Kim Songster

Duck hatching eggs should be stored at a temperature of 55 to 65oF (12-18o C) with a relative humidity of 70-80%.

3. kesrchicky16

kesrchicky16 Songster

Dec 13, 2016
    That will never hatch them. I'm talking about incubation. And I have no clue how to store them in that humidity where I live. Inside the incubator I could probably accomplish that. But even that is a question.

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Yes, incubation for duck eggs is basically similar to chicken eggs. Just be sure what kind of ducks. Most mallard derived ducks like Swedish, Pekins, etc are 28 days to hatch. Call ducks are usually around 26 days, and muscovies are around 35 days.
    You can incubate them together, just set the duck eggs enough days prior (7 likely) that the hatch date is predicted to be the same, so you can increase humidity on them all 3 days prior to hatch, and they should hatch around the same time.

Now... exceptions... inspect the egg shells to figure out the proper humidity. Here is an Article to help you with determining the humidity you need. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubation-humidity.73386/

Sometimes duck egg shells can be more dense, kinda waxy like, so they may not lose moisture at the same rate as your chicken eggs, which "can" be an issue, but usually its workable.

Best of luck!

5. kesrchicky16

kesrchicky16 Songster

Dec 13, 2016
    That's what I was hoping. My eggs seem to be kind of waxy so I will defiantly watch that. I only have full size everything. And my ducks are pekin, runner, Rouen and a couple mixed of the same with a black Swedish x Rouen drake.
    Sounds like if I set the duck eggs 7 days early and then just do what I've done this time we SHOULD have little trouble.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    WVduckchick likes this.
  6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Yep! Keep an eye on the air cells throughout. There are ways to adjust and help even things out if they seem to be developing at different rates.
    what kind of chicken eggs will you set with them?

7. kesrchicky16

kesrchicky16 Songster

Dec 13, 2016
    Backyard mix. I have one roo that is SLW cross and one that is Columbian rock. Hens are buff orp, rocks, Brahma,... My mind is failing

WVduckchick likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: