Duck incubation

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Athiena14, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Athiena14

Athiena14 Songster

Feb 23, 2018
    St. Robert MO
    I'm getting in duck eggs with my chicken eggs tomorrow. Never hatched ducks before. Any help on how to do it? I read so many different thing for them like after day 7 you need to mist them with water. But other pages don't say it. Can anyone help me out?

2. Duck Lover88

Duck Lover88 Songster

Jan 11, 2018
    Piedmont N.C
    I've never heard of misting them with water and have never done hat and mine hatch just fine…

3. Athiena14

Athiena14 Songster

Feb 23, 2018
    St. Robert MO
    Okay it was a YouTube video I watched at some point. Should also say these are welsh harlequin

Duck Lover88 likes this.
  4. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I just hatched 6 ducklings and 11 chicks, my most successful hatch ever. This is what I learned:
    1. Humidity, humidity, humidity! It is a problem too high as well as too low. My area's humidity is naturally high. I used to add lots of water to the incubator (thinking I was helping) but it prevented the eggs from losing enough water for my ducklings and chicks to hatch. They would make it to the last week and then several would die! This time I monitored the humidity carefully and all six hatched. This link explains how to do it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubation-humidity.73386/ . Follow it! I did mist mine lightly as recommended.
    2. Timing. As you probably know, duck incubation is 28 days, chickens only 21. I set my duck eggs, waited a week and then set my chicken eggs. That way everyone was locked down at the same time and I wasn't opening and closing the the incubator all the time. Ducklings are MUCH slower to hatch. My eggs all piped on the morning of day 26 but didn't hatch until late in the day on day 28 (one waited until the next morning). So, don't become alarmed (like I did) when they haven't hatched 24 hours after piping or take hours to actually hatch. The chickens seem to pip, take a nap, then hatch quickly.
    I hope all goes well with your hatching. It is sooo much fun! There are some kind people on the hatching forum who will hold your hand through it, especially when it seems like the ducklings will never hatch :)
    IMG_0627.jpg IMG_0641.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  5. Duck Lover88

Duck Lover88 Songster

Jan 11, 2018
    Piedmont N.C
    Awwww soooo cute:love:love:bow

Athiena14 and cheezenkwackers like this.
  6. Athiena14

Athiena14 Songster

Feb 23, 2018
    St. Robert MO
    They are so cute. I'm hoping I get mine right the first time they only sent 2 in the group of 15 eggs the rest were chickens. My humidity needs to go down before they go in... I put too much in and its at 80% XD I was really tired last night when I did it

cheezenkwackers likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: