duck info needed!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jenson2003, Jul 9, 2016.

1. jenson2003

jenson2003 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2016
    Hi guys, after venturing into bantams and other chickens, a friend recommended ducks!
    so I need some info on them. also, if you have any suggestions on breeds my requirements are:

1) quiet. if the both sexes are quiet then that would be great, although I tried to find info on them and found nothing on they're 'crowing' ability!

2) not a flyer. I don't mind clipping their wings but I don't have a fence it's a meter and a half tall and so most chickens can jump over it. and as I'm away 6+ hours I can't jump over a fence to catch them!

3) don't need a lot of looking after. I can do all the necessities but they can't be time consuming! 4) Good for a first-time breeder of ducks. I have experience with chicken breeder but not on ducks. also, I looked at Khaki Campbell chickens and I'm trying to find info on these. but the main thing I need is noiseless drakes I don't mind a little noise but I live in the suburbs and even I find the guy with ducks up my street annoying sometimes!
    Thanks in advance - Jenson[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Dtakes dont even quack.They make a raspy type sound.

Muscovies fly but make absuloutly no sound.The males hiss (Literaly...),the females have a peeping type sound.

Runner,pekins,Khkia campbells,Anconas are all the ones I raise.All very loud accept for the kahkis.The Anconas are onpy about 3 months some 3 months and a half and already are very loud.

Most ducks are very Vocal....

3. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  4. jenson2003

jenson2003 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2016
    thanks guys really enjoyed the info and gonna try mucovies

5. HannahDuckLover

HannahDuckLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    By the jungle
    Muscovies are also good mothers and will go broody often.

6. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    My only compant with muscovies were that they were very aggressive....

7. laurita1510

laurita1510 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2015
    UK
    Khaki Campbells are loving and hardy and good layers. My drake quacks when he wants a cuddle but it's not offensively loud

8. HannahDuckLover

HannahDuckLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    By the jungle
    The drakes are aggressive towards each other, and some are aggressive towards humans. (Of the four I’ve had, one has tried to pick a fight with me.) The females are usually very sweet. If they’re broody, then they can be awfully cranky and will chew up anyone trying to invade their nest.

9. debbie50chicks

debbie50chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2014
    Tampa Bay Area, Florida
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by