Duck injured by goose.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AshleyRS, Sep 30, 2017.

1. AshleyRS

AshleyRS Hatching

Sep 30, 2017
    I need some help/advice. My presumably male blue Swedish duck was attacked by one of my geese. He is missing most of his feathers between his wings and was walking fine until 2 days ago; now he is using his wings to walk. For the last two nights I have kept him in a pen on my porch before placing him in an enclosure outside for the day. I am trying to give him time to rest away from the other birds while still allowing him to see his flock. He doesn't seem to be getting better and I am worried that I am not doing all I can. He is able to move his tail feathers and his feet and legs appear to be fine. Any advice would be welcome.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    :welcome sorry for the circumstances. Hopefully there is only muscle damage that will repair. Is he able to swim ? That might be good therapy. Understand that if he recovers the goose will very likely attack him again if given the chance.

3. AshleyRS

AshleyRS Hatching

Sep 30, 2017

4. AshleyRS

AshleyRS Hatching

Sep 30, 2017
    Thank you for your advice. I was going to try and let him swim tomorrow since he appeared to be a bit better this evening. If he does recover he and the rest of the ducks will be housed and free ranged separately from the geese.

sourland and Miss Lydia like this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

6. AshleyRS

AshleyRS Hatching

Sep 30, 2017
    He is much perkier but he is still favoring his wings. I am beginning to think he has a twisted ankle and I am hoping it is not broken. He has a great time in the tub and appears to be enjoying quiet time in the chicken run sans the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: