1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck injured

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GrannySue, Nov 1, 2009.

1. GrannySue

GrannySue Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, before you ask, I've posted in the emergency folder.

My lovely Bluebell (runner duck( was attacked this afternoon. I think it was a hawk. She has 4 puncture wounds on her neck. I washed them out with warm running water, then put hand sanitizer on the wounds.
    Can I use polysporin on the punctures?
    Right now she's isolated in a crate in my bathtub. She has water deep enough to dip her nostrils (which she seems to have done) and I've left food for her.
    I can't see that she's eaten since I isolated her, but she's pooped.

Help!
    P.S. I think a hawk attacked her from the position on the wounds, all on her neck.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  2. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Poor ducky. I too have a duck that was attacked by a hawk but in this case, had his neck sliced open. He was rushed to the vet clinic that I work for anaesthetized and sutured and is 100% today. I covered him with an antibiotic that is safe for birds by the name of Baytril. I would caution you against hand sanitizer as it really stings any cuts that I have on my hands and may cause the duck discomfort. Polysporin won't hurt her. I would keep her out of water for a couple of weeks, spritzing her with a spray bottle instead making sure her wounds stay dry. I have had many ducks in isolation for one reason or another and it sometimes takes about a day until they settle down enough to eat. If you can get your hands on some mealworms, you could sprinkle a few of those on her chow to peak her interest. Is she in any respiratory distress? Hoping that nothing was crushed when the hawk grasped with his talons.

3. GrannySue

Well, she's in a big dog crate in my bathtub.
    I gave her food and water and she's been eating and drinking.
    Actually I think she's doing better than I am. She laid an egg overnight.

Her friends are going crazy, running all over the property looking for her.

4. xke4

Feb 3, 2007
    Well that's encouraging!! Sounds like she is on the mend. Seeing how you are in Canada, 2 of the meds that I have used fairly regularly on ducks are Baytril (for infection) and Metacam (for pain relief). Both of these can be obtained from a regular vet. One who deals with birds may even calculate the dosage for you but I can let you know what dose we use here if you ever need it. Good luck. Carolyn

5. GrannySue

Thanks.
    I took a photo of her to the vet this morning. I guess he's not that much of a bird guy because he asked me if it was a goose.
    Anyway, he said yes to the polysporin and gave me about 8 days worth of Baytril.
    .3ml/day

He also suggested that I should trim the feathers around the wounds so they don't heal into the holes.
    [​IMG]

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Awwww...poor thing. Trimming the feathers does sound like a good idea.

Give me a hug for me too

7. xke4

Feb 3, 2007
    I wouldn't fret if you are unable to safely trim the feathers surrounding the injuries. Here is my duck having recovered from his altercation with a Red Tailed Hawk. His wound was about 4" long ( it created the divot where the dark feathers meet the lighter ones on his neck) and no feathers were trimmed before he was sutured up. His feathers closed in so tightly afterwards that we were unable to visualize the suture line 10 days after so removing them was out of the question.

[​IMG]

Glad you got the Baytril.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  8. GrannySue

Here is my duck having recovered from his altercation with a Red Tailed Hawk. His wound was about 4" long

Thanks for the photo. I feel so much better about Bluey's attack having seen it.
    She's still in my tiny bathroom, with a friend for company. I'd send them back to the flock but want to keep her contained so I can give her the Baytril.
    I'm glad I can come to this forum because, believe it or not, there are people who don't understand why someone would go to all the bother over a duck!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    For example, my son wanted to come for the weekend on Friday and I'm trying to convince him to wait until Saturday. By then I'll have given Bluebell her last dose and can put the ducks outside again. Until then, the smell is appalling in my tiny little house despite the cleaning. Plus I'm dealing with a terrier who really, really wants to get at them.​

9. xke4

Feb 3, 2007
    How is your duckie doing?

10. GrannySue

Bluebell is fine. She was absolutely delighted to get back to rest of the flock yeaterday afternoon.
    Thanks for asking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by