Duck Injured?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jill102, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Jill102

Jill102 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2009
    Hi there. I have a male Pekin who has some changes to his bill. I noticed it because I was investigating a scratch on the top of his head and took a close look at him all over! The scratch, I believe, is from trying to squeeze out the door when our other duck was making his way out and he likely scraped his head on the top of the door. I'm surprised this hasn't happened before they way the rush out together. [​IMG] At least I'm HOPING that's the case and it's not something his "brother" decided to do to him. Can you take a look at his bill and let me know what you think? It's only on the one side. Since winter has arrived, they've both slowed way down eating and like to spend more time in their house. This is my first winter with them and I assumed this was normal because they are sociable and seem to be in good spirits! But in light of the changing bill, is this a sign of trouble?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Poor guy!

3. Jill102

Oct 23, 2009
    I know. [​IMG] He looks worse than he feels, it seems. Regardless, I have someone coming to take a look at him tomorrow so hopefully we get him fixed up in no time!!

4. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

did u find anything out yet?[​IMG]

5. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    it almost looks infected... like he got a scratch and it got some bacteria in it. He'll probably need some sort of antibiotic topical solution for it (I recommend one with baytril, meloxican, and DMSO in it). That would heal him up in no time. I use it on all the scratched, cuts, and bumble foot we get with our ducks.

He probably just got a little scratch how you think, but it got dirty when he went trifling through his water after he pooped in it. lol. You probably won't have to bandage it, but i recommend you at least put some neosporin (the kind without pain killer) on it while waiting to see the vet. It won't do any harm as long as you don't smear it up by his eyes.

6. Jill102

Oct 23, 2009
    Thanks so much for the replies and the advice! The verdict is nothing serious! Thankfully! Our guess is he may have got his bill caught on something (likely the fencing) or scratch and then it got a bit infected since they're not the most hygienic animals I have. LOL We have some antibiotic solution for it and he actually looks a LOT better already! We just adopted these boys (though we first thought Stella was a girl, thus the name) in October so I'm still learning!! Thanks for all of the help! [​IMG]

7. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Quote:that's alright on the Stella... I have a Victor, Vinny, and Ollie who are all girls... lol

8. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i have also only had mine since october. they were babies when i got them. one day they were in the bathtub and (like all men ahahahah) he got distracted by a shiney object, the faucett, and he got his bill stuck in the faucett. poor little retarded duckie. it was bleeding, i was freaking out, he's okay now. the crack in his bill is gone and he's all healed [​IMG] i just let it heal on it's own. a few days after he got his bill stuck, he fell down some stairs lol. he was chasing a cat. no injuries. he almos did it again today but mommy saved him [​IMG]

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Glad to hear he is on the improve. Ducks can sometimes easily get knocks and cuts on the bill, but good to see you have the antibiotic now- Im sure he will be right again in no time- Keep us posted how he goes though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by