Duck injury. Penicillin?

GooderSan

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 12, 2015
Grand Haven, Michigan
My pekin duck was attacked by something the other night and escaped, she does not like to be put up for the night. She has three small holes about the diameter of a pencil. Two by her tail and one up on her back. They are obviously infected and inflamed (hot to touch). Tried treating with spray on antibiotics but to no avail. Is the dosage for penicillin the same for ducks as it is for chickens? Is there anything else i should be doing? I separated her from the flock today and will keep her dry and warm. Washed the wound with epsom salt water, then reapplied the topical blue kote. Please help quickly, i would like to get her on antibiotics asap.

Also had to deal with maggots this morning. Got them all off her in soapy water and then peroxide water 50/50, as well as a million rinses. That was one of the grossest things i have ever had to do (and I am a biologist, icky isn't really in our vocabulary). I have her sprayed with equine fly spray now as well as removed access to the pond, so hopefully that won't be a problem again.

Also had to deal with maggots this morning. Got them all off her in soapy water and then peroxide water 50/50, as well as a million rinses. That was one of the grossest things i have ever had to do (and I am a biologist, icky isn't really in our vocabulary). I have her sprayed with equine fly spray now as well as removed access to the pond, so hopefully that won't be a problem again.
I'm sorry this has happened to your duck I hope from now on you'll lock all your ducks up at night, they don't realize the dangers out there especially after dark it's up to us to protect them..

I am hoping @casportpony will see this she is my go to for drug dosages.. Hope your ducks makes a full recovery.
and
Welcome to BYC

My pekin duck was attacked by something the other night and escaped, she does not like to be put up for the night. She has three small holes about the diameter of a pencil. Two by her tail and one up on her back. They are obviously infected and inflamed (hot to touch). Tried treating with spray on antibiotics but to no avail. Is the dosage for penicillin the same for ducks as it is for chickens? Is there anything else i should be doing? I separated her from the flock today and will keep her dry and warm. Washed the wound with epsom salt water, then reapplied the topical blue kote. Please help quickly, i would like to get her on antibiotics asap.
Welcome to BYC!

Here is the info I have for injectable penicillin:
Penicillin G

Here is some info:
LL

Picture below is from this site: http://smartools.pharmdev.org/iu.html

-Kathy

Thanks everyone, I have done the best i can for now. Thanks for all of the drug info casportpony. Giving the injection was a lot more difficult than with a chicken, is there an easier way to give the IM injection for ducks that I am missing? I gave it in the breast, as that is where the most muscle tissue would be but there is SO much down to get through to the skin.

She appears to be dry and comfortable in a small pen up on our covered porch. She hasn't eaten today since I moved her, but I have seen her drinking water (which has electrolyte/vitamin solution in it). She isn't quacking much unless I let the dogs out into the yard, which she is usually quacking her cute ducky head off. Here is to hoping for a speedy recovery.

This is our duck Denna, in her recovery room on our porch. She will be right behind us while we sit in the rocking chairs.

Thanks everyone, I have done the best i can for now. Thanks for all of the drug info casportpony. Giving the injection was a lot more difficult than with a chicken, is there an easier way to give the IM injection for ducks that I am missing? I gave it in the breast, as that is where the most muscle tissue would be but there is SO much down to get through to the skin.

She appears to be dry and comfortable in a small pen up on our covered porch. She hasn't eaten today since I moved her, but I have seen her drinking water (which has electrolyte/vitamin solution in it). She isn't quacking much unless I let the dogs out into the yard, which she is usually quacking her cute ducky head off. Here is to hoping for a speedy recovery.

This is our duck Denna, in her recovery room on our porch. She will be right behind us while we sit in the rocking chairs.
Giving ducks injections in the breast is tricky. I usually just place them standing on my lap, insert needle and have DH confirm there is no blood when I draw back. If no blood, I inject. Remember that almost all birds are injected in the upper 2/3 of their breast and never anywhere else... something about a renal shunt.

-Kathy

Aww she is so pretty, I hope she makes a full recovery.

Denna has begun the road of recovery. She has recovered her spunkiness and her appetite is back, she has been drinking about a liter of water every day as well. I took a picture of her injury as it is recovering nicely compared to what it was. On the right side is the pencil sized hole from the attack which is mostly closed now, and the rest is scab from her skin infection. You can see on the left where the scab has come off and new pink skin underneath. The other side looks pretty much the same. I'm sure it will be a long recovery, but she is on her way. Thanks again for the info casportpony, and I am getting much better at giving the injections now that she only has one more left.

Denna has begun the road of recovery. She has recovered her spunkiness and her appetite is back, she has been drinking about a liter of water every day as well. I took a picture of her injury as it is recovering nicely compared to what it was. On the right side is the pencil sized hole from the attack which is mostly closed now, and the rest is scab from her skin infection. You can see on the left where the scab has come off and new pink skin underneath. The other side looks pretty much the same. I'm sure it will be a long recovery, but she is on her way. Thanks again for the info casportpony, and I am getting much better at giving the injections now that she only has one more left.

Great news... and hopefully no more maggots.

Back
Top Bottom