Duck Injury

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Eroc1_1, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    One of our ducks got hurt this morning. It looks like she got bit by something in the pond. It is an area about 2" in diameter and is down to skin and a tad beyond that even. I just got home and I applied some foaming wound cleanser. She is separated. Should I apply some wound ointment and then wrap it with vet wrap? The wound is above her leg, on her side...which is causing her to limp around.

2. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    hmm, it if it me i would put some ointment on it and keep her inside for a few days

3. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:I will do that. Do I wrap her up with some gauze and vet wrap? How do I keep her from nosing around the ointment? She it fairly docile right now.

4. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Quote:I will do that. Do I wrap her up with some gauze and vet wrap? How do I keep her from nosing around the ointment? She it fairly docile right now.

Is she missing a chunk of skin? or is she just missing feathers and scraped up some? if she is just scraped up some I prolly would just rub some ointment on it kind of like a lotion so its not goopy on there and just leave it at that. if she is missing a chunk of skin i would prolly put ointment and gauze on it and wrap it in vetwrap.

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:I would try some Neosporin without pain reliever-not sure I'd wrap it unless she starts trying to eat it. [​IMG]
    I would probably go ahead and give an injection of PenG Procaine just to ward off infection since it's so hot.

6. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:I would try some Neosporin without pain reliever-not sure I'd wrap it unless she starts trying to eat it. [​IMG]
    I would probably go ahead and give an injection of PenG Procaine just to ward off infection since it's so hot.

What about Duramycin 10 in the water?

7. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011

Is she missing a chunk of skin? or is she just missing feathers and scraped up some? if she is just scraped up some I prolly would just rub some ointment on it kind of like a lotion so its not goopy on there and just leave it at that. if she is missing a chunk of skin i would prolly put ointment and gauze on it and wrap it in vetwrap.

I looks like a combination of both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by