Duck is a surrogate mom, neat story - With updated PICS

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ThreeBoysChicks, May 18, 2010.

1. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    So about a month ago, I decide to let me Brown Chinese collect her eggs. She had decided to lay them in the back corner of my goat house (it is a calf hutch). My Fawn and White Runner Hen layed her eggs in the same nest. I would take the Duck eggs every day. Well 8 goose eggs into it, my Fawn and White Runner Hen deicded to go broody. A couple of days ago, I noticed that the Goose (female) was hanging out in the goat house and watching over the duck and the nest very closely. This morning when I went to take care of everyone, I learned why. Duck momma had hatched out 5 beautiful gooslings.

Here is the odd thing, the Goose Parents have taken over completely and the duck hen was back out with her drake enjoying the rainy day. Odd behavior? Animals are absolutely amazing.

I guess I could advertie my duck's services to any goose families who don't have the time to hatch their own.

5/19/2010 UPDATE - Momma Duck still on the nest hatched out baby #6.

Now for the PICS (Sorry for the quality, but it was raining and cloudy)

The real mom and dad.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mom and Dad (not so happy) becausee one of the sheep walked up behind me.
    [​IMG]

And finally, the babies (Note mom looking intently as if to say, where you going with that camera?)
    [​IMG]

Last but certainly not least, the lady who did all the work, enjoying a swim in the kiddy pool
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Congrats on the new goslings, great pics. so cool the duck hatched them then let the real parents have them.

3. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Neat Story...thanks for sharing. Love the pictures.

4. emmalynn

emmalynn Silkies Sebbies OEGBs

Oct 16, 2008
    Middle TN
    Your duck is a surrogate mom!! [​IMG]

5. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    This story continues.....

So after the initial 8 eggs, the mother goose has added extras to the clutch. Mamma duck is back on the nest working on the rest. The 5 babies are currently nestled under the father goose and momma goose is going back and forth between watching over momma duck and the babies.

It is like a soap opera only better.

6. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Momma Duck hatched out Baby #6. Here are some updated PICS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Your pictures and story are adorable! I so love the goslings and never tire of seeing pictures of them. You are so lucky that you aren't having to do the whole brooding phase yourself since they hatched in warm weather and mom and dad are taking care of them. Looks like they are doing a good job with them [​IMG]

8. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I doubt she had much choice in the matter. If the geese wanted them she would have them. BTW geese are much more of a family group than ducks. You rarely see a drake having anything to do with the young ones while the ganders are almost always around and often 'babysit' while mama goose is swimming or feeding.

9. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Quote:I doubt she had much choice in the matter. If the geese wanted them she would have them. BTW geese are much more of a family group than ducks. You rarely see a drake having anything to do with the young ones while the ganders are almost always around and often 'babysit' while mama goose is swimming or feeding.

What I don't know is how long will this go on. Momma Duck got off this morning so I went and looked, she has 5 eggs still under her. I don't know when they were layed. But, she is very healthy and comes out to eat and take a swim so I figure if she wants to keep sitting on them, then who am I to stop her.

The geese are great parents and it is amazing that they let me in the pen to feed and water and don't make any noise. They even let me pick up a baby this morning. But if anyone else comes within 25 ft of them, they start posturing and hissing. I guess being the person who hand raised them does make a difference.

10. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC

What I don't know is how long will this go on. Momma Duck got off this morning so I went and looked, she has 5 eggs still under her. I don't know when they were layed. But, she is very healthy and comes out to eat and take a swim so I figure if she wants to keep sitting on them, then who am I to stop her.

The geese are great parents and it is amazing that they let me in the pen to feed and water and don't make any noise. They even let me pick up a baby this morning. But if anyone else comes within 25 ft of them, they start posturing and hissing. I guess being the person who hand raised them does make a difference.

If your geese are anything like mine(very friendly) do NOT do anything to make a gosling make a distress call, If you startle them or squeeze just a little too hard and it puts out a distress call the adults will be on you like white on rice! I think it is only instinct and they don't seem to hold a grudge afterwards but they will come for you and keep coming untill they have the gosling and have assured themselves that it is alright. Yes yours may be different (and I hope they are) I am just telling you what has happened to me and not just with one family either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by