Duck is laying very small, soft eggs and acting a bit 'off'

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickandduck1, Mar 13, 2017.

1. chickandduck1

chickandduck1 New Egg

Mar 13, 2017
    Hello! I've searched all around for advice and answers; apologies in advance for not finding a relevant thread if it already exists.

I have a female Cayuga duck who's around 15 months old. Until a couple of months ago she laid a perfect egg nearly every day. Recently, she's not laid any eggs at all. I attributed that to the winter months. In the last several weeks she's laid several tiny, soft eggs, and acts a little out of sorts. Still eats, but seems to walk slower and she's not nearly as vocal as usual. Feathers seem a bit fluffed. I have two ducks and two chickens and they eat layer feed (fortified with calcium), spinach, kale, bird seed and veggie scraps. They free range in our backyard all day. They have access to small koi pond.

Any duck wisdom anyone can pass on? Does she simply need more calcium?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Paige

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I see you feed Spinach and I found this info:
    "Spinach has something in it called oxalic acid. It depletes the calcium in bones of all birds. Feeding it in moderation is okay but unfortunately moderation to a goose or duck really doesn't apply because they like to gobble down greens.
    Kale is a much better substitute to feed. I feed all my birds...parrots, ducks, geese, chickens, and guineas...kale on an almost daily basis."

Can you pick her up and gently feel her tummy does she feel squishy or firm? she may have just needed to get her laying mechanisms in working order since she has taken the winter off.Then again if your noticing her being off some there could be something else going on possibly infection or internal laying. Still eating is a good sign that what ever is going on isn't serious yet. You might want to start her on some good poultry vitamins actually the whole flock can benefit coming out of winter months. If at all possible if you don't notice improvement you might want to consider a vet since we can't really tell you what maybe going on. When my Muscovy female was having laying problems she laid around for a day and didn't eat much that let me know something was not right with her. I brought her in and let her float in warm water off an on most of the day and next day she laid an egg but something else must have been going on inside because I lost her that night. So keep a close eye on your girl, sometimes they give us clues but they are so subtle we can over look them

Maybe picking up some Calcium citrate and putting some in her water or feed can give her extra calcium 250 mgs per day. I put it into my girls water buckets a couple times a week.

@chickandduck1 Welcome to BYC

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. chickandduck1

chickandduck1 New Egg

Mar 13, 2017
    Thank you so much Miss Lydia! I'll do the warm bath, vitamins and calcium. Tummy doesn't seem to feel too squishy; I was concerned about internal laying as well.

If she doesn't seem to improve in the next couple of days, I'll take her to a vet.

Really appreciate your quick response.

-Paige

1 person likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by