Duck is loosing a lot of feathers

Bubblesandbambi

Chirping
Feb 24, 2023
Hello, I noticed my duck has been loosing a lot off feathers the past few days. Is it normal for her to loose that many? I posted two pictures. She is a Pekin duck and will be 10 months old on the 31st. I do give her vitamins/electrolytes in their water. Her sister is the same age and she’s not loosing any feathers right now.

Attachments

• 569F95F6-5551-4BCB-AC8C-533CA0F7FDAD.jpeg
    569F95F6-5551-4BCB-AC8C-533CA0F7FDAD.jpeg
    647.1 KB · Views: 23
  • A00E2FB7-7974-42AE-B2EC-A732A7F5AFD1.png
    A00E2FB7-7974-42AE-B2EC-A732A7F5AFD1.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 6
Hello, I noticed my duck has been loosing a lot off feathers the past few days. Is it normal for her to loose that many? I posted two pictures. She is a Pekin duck and will be 10 months old on the 31st. I do give her vitamins/electrolytes in their water. Her sister is the same age and she’s not loosing any feathers right now.
Where abouts are you located? What feed are they on?

Where abouts are you located? What feed are they on?
We’re in the Midwest. Temperatures are still cold but it’s getting a bit warmer than it was the past few months. Recently we’ve been in the 40s & 50s compared to 20s & 30s about a month/two months ago. They are on 18% kalmbach pellets. I switched two Purina’s layer pellets but they wouldn’t eat them so 2 days later I switched back to Kalmbach pellets. They get oyster shells too & treats here & there (meal worms and lettuce) for the past two weeks I’ve given them treats about 4 times.

Your girl is molting. I find that my one Pekin duck looses lots of feathers year round and still molts once a year. My son has three Pekins and a back yard that looks like someone split a feather bed out there!
Thank you so much! I wasn’t sure since it’s a lottt so I just wanted to make sure. Thank you!:)

Some ducks molt whole patches of feathers at once. I know one of my pekins loses a similar amount each year.

Back
Top Bottom