Duck is off its feet and not eating, chickens pecking at her....HELP!

sbehnke09

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2016
Little Suamico, WI
I have an 8 month old Pekin duck. She has gone off her feed and is no longer standing up. She can't/won't stand up. She is still drinking water but is not eating. Her neck feathers look ruffled and the chickens started to pluck out her tail feather. She has also stopped laying eggs.The other night they must've been picking on her b/c she now has a bald spot on her lower back. I did take her out and have her confined by herself on shavings and put some water and a bit of food with oysters in for her. I also put some medication on her injury. I did give her a small amount of ivermectin yesterday as she may have parasites?? Is there anything else I could be doing for her. As of last night and today, she seems more alert and is "talking" a bit, but still not standing. What do you think?

How long has she been acting off? Could she be egg bound? How long since her last egg? Can you very gently feel her lower abdomen (near her cloaca) and see if you feel an egg in there? If you think that might be what's going on, you can try a nice warm bath and let her soak in there awhile. The warm water can help them relax their muscles and pass an egg that is stuck.

If that isn't it, it could be many different things. So hard to say. A vet is always best of course, so they can figure out exactly what is going on. Very hard to give advice without seeing/examining the bird ourselves (plus most of us are not vets). ;)

You did the right thing separating her so she isn't picked on while she's feeling off. It's very important to get her to eat, so try all her favorite treats, if you haven't already. Wish I could be of more help!

I had her in her warm pool both Saturday and Sunday. I was feeling for an egg and doesn't seem like there is one in there. She has not laid an egg in probably 3-4 weeks, unless my chickens are eating them? She just started to look off Friday night/Saturday morning. She was still up and walking, not running, on Saturday.

Sounds like she is housed with Chickens??? She requires a different diet..... Deeper Water is a must with Ducks.....Even being with Chickens is not the same as being with other Ducks.....Ducks are so social they really only thrive with other Ducks......

Cheers!

Yes, she is housed with chickens. They eat a feed made for "poultry" at a local feed mill. What is "deeper water"? She has been alone since June. We had to get rid of the male as he was trying to breed my chickens. Not once has she been unhappy. I really feel as though she is sick.

I would take a fecal sample to a vet to check for parasites or evidence of blood.

I would get her into a tub of lukewarm water and let her swim and relax for a while, start adding 100 to 200 mg calcium to her diet for four or five days, add a half teaspoon of turmeric per cup of food, and moisten it for her as well. In fact, I would probably moisten the food to be about like oatmeal consistency for now. Give her about as much as she will eat in 8 hours, so there is no worry of the food spoiling.

A vet visit would be best. She may have bacterial or fungal infection, might have a virus, egg yolk peritonitis (very serious systemic infection requiring antibiotics). I would start monitoring her weight and think about tube feeding if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom