Duck is sitting on eggs. How to get her to hatch them?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gogohorses25, May 31, 2016.

1. gogohorses25

gogohorses25 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    i have a female duck kept in a pen with a male and i've seen him breed her several times, and now she's sitting her eggs and she's made a nest. i would really like her to hatch them but is there anything in particular i should be doing to help her? i'm giving her almost unlimited egg maker food but i'm not really sure what else i should be doing. any tips? i've never hatched eggs before but the lady who had this duck before us said that she hatched a clutch of eggs before so i think she can do it i'm just not really sure if there's anything i should be doing

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    The best thing you can do now is just give her space. Let her do her thing with no interference. She'll do all the work and she won't need any help. Just make sure where she is is safe from predators. Let us know how it goes!

3. gogohorses25

gogohorses25 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    wow okay! i have been trying to just leave her alone. she is definitely safe from predators. how long do you think it will take the eggs to hatch? she started sitting on them about a week ago.

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    If she's been on them for a week then they should hatch in three weeks :) If she's a muscovy then it'll be a little longer than that.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by