Duck Issues

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by owly, Jan 30, 2015.

1. owly

owly Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2014
    I own four ducks, two pekins (One duck and one drake) and two mallards (both ducks). One of the mallards goes to the fair each year, alongside our pekin drake (who is beautiful <3). But, recently, the drake has gone duck-crazy for the mallards. He picks on one of them quite a lot, and it's gotten to the point where I need to separate the mallards. The mallard he doesn't stop jumping on has a bare patch on her back and head. I know that mallard (and those related to it) drakes have similar behaviors outside of captivity, but is there any way to prevent this and keep them together? The pekins are about 10 months old, the mallards are almost 2 years old. They have been together for five or six months, but it's never been this bad (usually he would chase them for a few seconds and give up. Now, the mallards give up right away, and he never leaves them alone.).
    Thanks a bunch!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    At age your Pekin drake is the hormones are just out of control if the Mallards were mine I'd separate them from your drake him being so large and heavy he could easily hurt them. and since he's already taking out feathers it's only going to get worse since it's getting closer to breeding season if you live in the USA. or other places where spring is getting closer by the day. I can't help but say though He does need more than the one Pekin to mate with or he'll wear her out pretty fast. It's rec to have 2-4 ducks per drake to keep the girls from being over mated.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  3. owly

owly Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2014
    Thank you for this advice! I do have the mallards separated, but the thing is, he does not chase around or mate with the pekin duck very often. They are always together, and I have never seen him try to forcibly mate with her. She also doesn't look nearly as bad as the mallards do, she isn't missing any noticeable patches of feathers, and her feathers aren't all shredded and dirty, either. She's also a bit aggressive, so I do believe that the drake had given up a long time ago.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    In other words he's hen pecked when it comes to the Pekin. lol, Glad you have the Mallards separated so now maybe he'll be a gentleman with the Pekin mate and she'll be nicer to him. Those boys need to learn some manners.

5. owly

owly Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2014
    They do! XD Thanks again for the advice! I'll be sure to let you know if anything happens.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by