Duck Keeping Laws

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shellscom, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Shellscom

Shellscom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2014
    Hi I'm just wondering if I an allowed to keep pastured, free range, ducks in Southeast wisconsin, in a typical residential backyard, with neighbors. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  3. Shellscom

Shellscom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2014
    But these are for chickens, not ducks. And my county/shall town isn't listed.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Many towns and municipalities now have their ordinances online for download. I would do a search on words like livestock, waterfowl, poultry, ducks, chickens, animals, along with the name of your town or county. And when you find it you can post it on one of the LORE pages to help others.

Also, if there were a listing in LORE about chickens, you would have a clue then could look into the details to see if the terms used include waterfowl or other poultry. Legal stuff is, in my opinion, mostly a big mess. It has to do with people and their activities changing faster than the laws can keep up with, and different sets of values. In Michigan, there is what I consider a monstrosity of a mess, because someone in their state capitol doesn't like people keeping their own chickens and bees in their back yards. Dummies.

Another option you have is going to the Where Am I Where Are You forum and asking someone on your state thread if they can guide you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by