1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck keeps bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jaredvheck, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Jaredvheck

Jaredvheck Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    I have 2 ducks and 1 keeps bleeding from her tail feathers. It's been off and on for almost 3 weeks. Seems to get pretty good then she started again. Been spraying her with stuff from tractor supply. Help please.

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    What 'stuff' are you spraying her with? Just trying to get an idea of what is being used and if there's a better alternative... is she separated from the other duck but can still see/hear the other? Might be the other duck is biting off the feathers... maybe protein deficiency?

A little more info might help get a better picture of what is happening and how it can be healed and/or prevented from happening again...

@Amiga

@Miss Lydia

3. Jaredvheck

May 1, 2016
    I've been spraying her with poultry wound spray from Tractor Supply. Yes separated but can still see the others. Have 1 other duck and 4 Rhode Island Reds(2 hens and 2 roosters). Have her on niacin (b12) because of walking problems watch seem to be getting better.

4. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Glad her leg issues are getting better... so they are bleeding again while still separated or after she heals up enough to go back with the other duck? Is she breaking blood feathers(new feathernubs coming in)?

Can you post pics?

5. Jaredvheck

May 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

6. Jaredvheck

May 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

7. Jaredvheck

May 1, 2016
    Not the greatest pictures but she was not cooperating

8. Jaredvheck

May 1, 2016
    Didn't realy seem to matter she would bleed just by her self but then the other chickens saw the blood and picked at it

9. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Have you tried putting blu kote on that area to keep the others from pecking at it?

I'm gonna tag others again, it might have gotten missed...

@Amiga

@Miss Lydia

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Blue Kote will work just make sure when you use it you have something on you don't care to get purple on. I will wrap my duck or chicken in a towel then apply the blue kote it really does disguise the area. With water fowl though you have to apply more often because they get wet. Have you seen her pulling out her own feathers? I would not keep her with chickens til lshe is healed or covered in Blue Kote chickens will make it alot worse. Alot worse.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by