Duck keeps moving nest around.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kaumlauf, Dec 6, 2012.

1. kaumlauf

kaumlauf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Hi...I'm back with another question...My young duck Miss Lucky Duck a (Blue Swede Cross) , has laid a nest of about 20 eggs. None have hatched yet, and it's been going on 4 weeks, (it's her first try), and she moves her nest completely, about a foot or so, every week. She moves the entire thing! It's like a small volcanoe, with eggs inside. We use pine shavings. She keeps moving it closer to the corner. Is this normal? My husband wants me to ask you if she needs therapy, but I say, "Don't be silly, it's a female thing. The nursery must be just right.".Also, the male, Colonel Drake, is quite assertive/aggresive with her, as in he always wants to mount her, when we take them out for a swim in the baby pool, which we used as a pond. Should we seperate them? Will C. Drake attack the ducklings? Many thanks- Katt

2. Kleonaptra

Kleonaptra Chillin' With My Peeps

I can sympathize with you but not really offer advice! I have a Pacific black female and drake, and 3 big girls, pekin, part pekin and the other god knows what. My little pacific black girl made a nest and laid....It got stolen by the big girls who lay, sit, then forget about it! Now my little girl is building nests under trees, dropping eggs in the middle of the shed...Everywhere! I tried to make her a private nesting area but somehow the big girls get in! Ive been candling and shifting eggs for over a month. When I steal old eggs I crack them, some have been fertilized but no one is sitting in the one nest long enough to hatch any babies! If my ducks arent nuts I surely must be!

The good news is I got my first chicken egg today! Ive waited ages finally I found one in the garden. I have stolen a few ducks eggs for baking but my chicken eggs are guilt free as I have no rooster.

Like yours our main nest looks like a little volcano, we use straw and they build it so carefully to then just wander off and forget it. My drake is a bit agressive too, I only noticed the other day he was chasing the little girl off the eggs to breed her again. After christmas I'll get an incubator so I can have a go with a few eggs. If we really want baby ducks, I think thats best. Of course, for a first try - its ours too - they are bound to need some practise! Good luck to you.

3. kaumlauf

kaumlauf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    thank you the response. I guess it's normal for her to move the nest , until she is comfortable.
    I don't see an incubator in our future, so I guess we'll let nature take it's path.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by