Duck Knowledgable only please!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tadandrita, Aug 9, 2011.

1. tadandrita

tadandrita Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    My Pekin hen WAS sitting and quit. I am not sure how long she sat full time. I candled eggs and there is movement inside so I awoke "Lord Bator" [​IMG] and eggs went in after a night under a lamp and spritzers of water. Anyhoo at our BEST guess hatch SHOULD be in 2 weeks.....my wife reported to me that when she spritzed eggs and turned them ONE peeped and rocked today..I candled egg and they are good ..chics are active and good air cell...SOOOOO should we continue turning or let them be???? If continue how long??? Oh BTW these specificly are Jumbo Pekin over Standard Pekin if that helps...also hen is 2 y/o. Thank You for advise in advance!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't do ducks, but in chickens - by the time they peep and rock, they are getting close to pipping, so you may want to stop turning those ones you candled that are looking fully developed. If there are others less developed, keep turning them. Put the rockers in a seperate hatcher if you have one.

3. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

BTW, you have 2 similar posts - usually its better to just have one.

4. tadandrita

Apr 3, 2011
    I know just trying to have my bases covered and get the best advise from KNOWLEDGABLE DUCK PPL ONLY. but thanx anyways

5. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    If you are having peeping you need to quit turning, says a duck knowledgeable person;) Get that humidity up and let them be. For ducks humidity is crucial for hatching. You should have an external pip within the next 24 hours hopefully less, because in order to hear peeping they have to be internally pipped into the air cell.

6. skillswife

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Any way you could post candeling pics of the rest of the eggs and maybe we can help date them, my guess is they are all sooner than you think they are due. It would be unusual to have one egg so far ahead of the rest, but then stranger things have happened.

7. tadandrita

Apr 3, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] THANK YOU!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] wasn't trying to be a jerk about duck knowledge it's just chickens and ducks are mucho differento!!! as far as hatching goes..i learned that the hard way!! [​IMG]

8. skillswife

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Another thing to remember is that ducks take longer to pip and zip out of the shell, its best to leave that egg be now to do its thing. My pekins were even slower than the rouens to get out as well, maybe its their layed back nature and large size. If you want to see if its still alive quack loudly to the incubator, worked like a charm for mine to get the eggs rockin! Best of luck!

9. kellyatric

kellyatric Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    England
    Quote:When you say get the humidity up - how high should it be for ducks at hatching? (just waiting for mine at the moment but no sign of anything)

10. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    I push for 70-80% humidity at lock down for our ducks to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by