***Duck Laid an Egg! Unsure!****

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rsimental11, Oct 23, 2014.

1. rsimental11

rsimental11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2014
    Hi all,

So I awoke to a surprise this morning from my Cayuga, a little egg! A green one. The thing is, I have a drake, so not sure if it's from mating or not. If so, how long until an embryo starts? Is grabbing the egg the day it's laid and putting it in the fridge ensuring it's edible and not a duckling? Help! Thanks.

2. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Ducks lay eggs regardless if there's a male or not. In order for there to be a duckling the egg would have to be incubated

3. Gladheart6

Gladheart6 New Egg

Apr 22, 2014
    I have a first year mature Rouen and my question would be- what about if the nest is moist to wet from rain? Can bacteria travel through the shells if they get wet? Safe to eat? I only have one duck, but have read this on the chicken pages-- I am new to them too.
    Thanks in advance!

4. Mrs.H

Mar 22, 2010

That's a good question, but I don't have an answer. Maybe start a new thread if it doesn't get answered on this on

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  5. enriquec

enriquec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    North Florida
    As long as you don't clean them, they last a very very long time. No need to refrigerate. They have a protective coat keeping bacteria out.

6. Mrs.H

Mar 22, 2010

You could be right, but she's saying the eggs are wet sitting on a nest which possibly is dirty. I would think them being wet would be the same as washing them which takes the protective layer off

7. Mrs.H

Mar 22, 2010

Lol I'm sorry you probably were replying to the original poster [​IMG]

8. Gladheart6

Gladheart6 New Egg

Apr 22, 2014
    thanks for responding Mrs. H!

9. Mrs.H

Mar 22, 2010

You are welcome. You might want to start a new thread at this point tho. Kinda curious myself now bc my eggs this morning were damp I'm assuming bc it was so cold this morning then warmed up quickly (I live in the south crazy temp changes)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by