Duck laid egg in water...why?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by asher, Jan 18, 2009.

1. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Our world has been frozen for a few days. We had no water yesterday and their pool was frozen so they had no access to swimming water.

Today the boys and I lugged out buckets of warm water to fill the pond. Not hot, but definitely not cold, either.

I haven't gotten any eggs in maybe 3 days except yesterday one laid out on the ground and it was frozen and broken.

Imagine my surprise as we're filling the pond, the ducks are swimming around and I suddenly see a little green egg floating around in there! I grabbed it up quick, of course (setting duck eggs today), but was curious why she laid it in the water? Did the water/warmth just relax her enough to lay it or...?

I'm new on the duck thing. Loving the ducks, but still have a lot to learn!

2. giffy

giffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    I have had domestic bantams that laid eggs in the same spot every few days and others that seemed to be caught up in the excitement of being with their buddies and just laid the egg where ever they were at the time. I think she just got caught up with the excitement of the filling of the pond and joining in the swim.

I too have put some of the eggs that I have found like that in the bator but I usually noticed it when they had been in too long. Just mark the one that you found in the water.

Seeing that you have Aussies, have you had any good setters?

giffy
    -------------------

3. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Thanks! :)

This is my first season with the aussies so I haven't tested them, yet as mamas. I definitely will later in the season if they are up to it. (Just testing these to see if they are fertile before I send some off to a few testers.)

4. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Ds went out to check for eggs and apparently they HAVE been laying in a corner of the coop that I cannot see or reach! I was wondering why that hen kept staying in that corner and was concerned she might be egg bound. Nope! BROODY! Dangit!

We pulled the eggs b/c it's too darn cold. Out of four, two were already frozen and cracked. Dangit.

So looks like she'll definitely want to be broody and I'll let her once the temps warm up. It's just impossible now unless I bring her in the house which I won't.

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Duck just squirt out an egg if the time is right no matter what they are doing or where they are.
    Squat n Plop [​IMG]
    You just can't take them anywhere.

6. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    DS said maybe the warm water unfroze her bum feathers enough to let it out. [​IMG]

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    If it was FLOATING in the water I'd say it wasn't a new egg, an egg should not float, it should drop to the bottom. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  8. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    It was definitely new as we'd just emptied the pool completely and filled it. I think it'd just come out when I saw it floating as I was watching them the entire time. I just happened to see it amongst their flapping and diving. [​IMG]

9. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    i have 3 laying ducks and just ordered 12 more. normaly thay make a nest somewhere and lay but i have found many eggs in the pond also. I really dont think that they are picky about where they lay. i have also found eggs under some fallen tree branches. dont be supprised if you find nests around your yard and mine change location a lot so it is a easter egg hunt every day;)

10. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    See if it could swim?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by