Duck laid first egg now has slimey feces hanging out of rear

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AmandaMae, Oct 8, 2016.

1. AmandaMae

AmandaMae Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2014
    Michigan
    Hello all. One of our young ducks laid an egg yesterday in the run. This morning I went to let everyone out and she was in the nesting box but with closer inspection I noticed some slimey poop hanging out of her. She hopped out of the box moments after I came in, climbed up the ramp and went out to get some water, etc. She seems to be okay as far as I can tell but with some research I cannot figure out what's wrong. The only thing I can think of is she had an egg backup and break inside of her. I am new to ducks..she's my first laying duck so any help is appreciated!

If this helps at all .. The egg was laid some time after 3pm yesterday. No egg this morning.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  2. AmandaMae

Jan 16, 2014
    Michigan
    Within about 30 min of posting this I Checked back in and there was an egg sticking out of a prolapsed vent. Into a warm bath she went and out came two eggs.. Plus a broken soft shell..and a scrambled up yolk/egg white mixturr. Her vent is still swollen and a bit prolapsed.. About 1/4 in. She's acting normally. Applied prep h. Has eaten and drank.
    About to search what to do next but appreciate any advice.

3. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    How is your duck today? You did all the right things, so glad she passed all those eggs and bits for you. A cold bath is best with a prolapse (after they have passed the eggs in a nice warm bath). Warm water relaxes to get things out, cold water causes them to retract bits that are hanging out that shouldn't be (like a prolapse).

4. AmandaMae

Jan 16, 2014
    Michigan
    Thanks for the advice! Will do that next time something like this happens..

She seems to be doing fine. Back to her spunky self. Vent is back to normal. No egg yet this AM. Seeing as she basically "laid" 4 eggs within 24 hrs I'm not expecting one today.. Will keep an eye out though just in case its a reoccurring issue.

5. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Great! Glad she's back to normal, and everything is back in where it should be. ;) Hopefully this won't happen again and it was just a fluke. Sometimes these things just happen and then they are fine with no further issues.

6. AmandaMae

Jan 16, 2014
    Michigan
    So its been a few days and still no egg from Waffle. My husband and I were feeling her abdomen last night and felt nothing. She seems to be acting fine still. I'm slightly paranoid maybe she's going to be egg bound again. But...we've also had our first few days of frost here in Michigan and my chicken egg production has gone down. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not....

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Have you given her any kind of anti-inflammatory? I have started adding a quarter to a half teaspoon of turmeric per 3 cups of food. It seems to have corrected the mild limp one of my ducks had. And inflammation is apparently something that can contribute to egg laying problems.

I think you should go with your gut - if you feel something is not right, do not ignore that feeling, but watch closely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by