Duck Layed Once Hasn't Layed Since [Solved]

Lanklow5790

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2019
Rocklin, CA
Hi,
I have an Indian Runner that just Sexually matured enough to lay her first three eggs. The problem is that she hasn't layed any eggs since. it's been a week since, and we've searched our entire yard and haven't found one egg. We do have a matured drake also, if that changes anything. This is my first time raising ducks so I'm somewhat of a newbie when it comes to this sort of thing.

Thanks guys,
Lanklow5790

Hello! So, as the days get shorter, they aren't able to lay their eggs with the reducing sun light time. She should be laying in the spring. You having a drake will not change anything. This is all normal
Thanks so much for responding to my question. Do you have any suggestions on how to substitute that lost sun light time?

How old is she, in weeks?
Could be the short days...or....
Don't some ducks only lay seasonally?

Welcome to BYC! @Lanklow5790
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-23_10-9-12.png

Well she has a Runner so she probably won't be seasonal mine haven't been. Mine hatched end of April so they began laying before day light began to shorten and laid a straight 18 months with out taking a break so @Lanklow5790 once your female begins laying you'll have the eggs. Since she has started later in the year though with daylight shortening she may wait till days begin to get longer next year. I agree I don't use extra light. These little things lay so many eggs they need those breaks. Just make sure you feed top quality feed and keep out Oyster shell for her in case she needs the extra calcium. And please post pictures those of us who love our Runners really like to see pics of others who keep them too.

How old is she, in weeks?
Could be the short days...or....
Don't some ducks only lay seasonally?

Welcome to BYC! @Lanklow5790
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1915666
I added my Geo location, and my runner is 25 weeks old to the day.

Back
Top Bottom