Sep 6, 2020
I know hens begin the lay around 5-6 months old. I have a few girls getting close to this age but am in Northern NY and is already getting chilly out. I know ducks can be temperamental with laying. I know of people having ducks lay through winter and how flocks stop laying altogether during fall/winter months. Just wondering looking for feedback from people in northern states and their experience with laying during colder months.

Do you think my girls will lay before winter or hold off until spring?

I am nowhere near the north, but I'd just like to say that my girl (WH duck, 6mo) actually started laying right when the weather got really cold. I thought she'd hold off til spring because of the nasty freezes we got, but she started laying an egg a day right as things got to be freezing.

I am nowhere near the north, but I'd just like to say that my girl (WH duck, 6mo) actually started laying right when the weather got really cold. I thought she'd hold off til spring because of the nasty freezes we got, but she started laying an egg a day right as things got to be freezing.
Thanks for the feedback! Good to know

I am not nearly as north and but several of my young ducks delayed laying for a few months to start on almost the shortest day of the year. The length of daylight is suppose to have more of an effect on their laying ability, but weird stuff happens.
For sure. I feel like every flock is different and ducks don’t always follow suit with the norm

I'm in Iowa, but my ducks laid even when it was below zero. When it got down to -30 here the eggs would pop and freeze before I could even get out to them which was not fun🙄 However, with new layers it's always a toss🤷
That’s true! I feel like whenever we had bird coming of laying age they have always started different. I know of some flocks that don’t lay at all during cold temps and other farmers have them lay all winter long. Ducks can be funny like that. So different from place to place

My runners are 7 months and just started laying eggs. I'm not sure if they will lay all winter. When chickens reach POL in fall, they usually lay through winter the first yr. I would think ducks are similar.
We have 3 runners. They are our next age down so not quite ready to lay yet. They will definitely be spring time I’m thinking. Was hoping our Swedish would start laying now and lay throughout winter but all the ducks we’ve had have done things differently from one another

We have 3 runners. They are our next age down so not quite ready to lay yet. They will definitely be spring time I’m thinking. Was hoping our Swedish would start laying now and lay throughout winter but all the ducks we’ve had have done things differently from one another
Ducks are just like that - never consistent. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom