duck laying question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KyleD., Mar 1, 2009.

1. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    this may be a stupid question but do ducks lay eggs like chickens as far as how many or how do they lay? i've never dealed with anything outside of normal chickens lol

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Ducks lay just like chickens but larger eggs in some cases. Some breeds lay every day and some lay less often depends on the breeds. In my personal opinion duck eggs are far better for baking with.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  3. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    i've heard that from many people which leads me to want and get some. which breed is the best for laying?

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I have 2 types of ducks Khaki Campbells and Muscoveys... The Khakis lay more about 1 a day but the egg size is about the size of a chicken egg. Muscoveys can be a bit all over the place with laying at times but their eggs on average are the size of 2 chook eggs. I would go Muscoveys over Khaki any day but that is just my choice.

5. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I love my Khaki Campbells and want to get more. My duck lays an egg every single day. It's about the size of my largest chicken eggs, but with a huge yolk. I love to use them for baking. I've never had muscovies so I can't compare them. I have blue swedish as well but the duck hasn't started to lay yet.

6. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    okay thanks for in info. im trying to figure out what exactly i may want. this helped im sure i'll want something that lays more frequently.

7. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    If you get a copy of Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks they have a chart of the different breeds, their size, the typical number of eggs they lay per year, etc. I read that book cover to cover twice before I made my choices!
    Edited for a typo.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  8. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    okay thanks. can you tell me where i would find one of those?

9. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I got mine at our local feedstore, but buy it from the author if you can!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by