Duck laying ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rosebud 18, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    I have a pekin duck that started laying the first of sept. and she has been laying a egg every day until wednesday. On tuesday her egg didn't have a shell at all. We had to clean her nest and make a new one. I didn't expect her to lay for a few days after that. She didn't lay wednesday but on thursday she laid a normal size egg and one about 1/2 that size and it was flat on one side. She didn't lay friday but today she layed 2 normal size eggs. Has anyone every heard of ducks laying 2 eggs every other day?

2. Sometimes new layers have a little trouble getting regulated. Does she have oyster shell to eat? Lack of oyster shell can cause a poor shell formation on the egg and also make it hard for the egg to pass. What do you feed her?

3. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    I feed her laying pellets,corn and scratch and I keep a small pan of oyster shell out for her. I just never heard of a duck or chicken laying more than once a day.

4. Their diet seems good, except it would be a little better if they don't get scratch, the corn might throw them off.
    There have been several people on this forum who have reported pekins that regularly lay two eggs a day.
    Occasionally one of my hens, Welsh Harlequin, Khaki Campbell or Runner, will hold off for a day and lay two the next, one in the morning and one in the evening. Usually they don't lay again the next day after that. That usually happens towards the beginning or the end of the laying season. Sometimes when that's going on we get those poorly formed eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by