Duck leg band ID opinions needed!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kkrista123, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Kkrista123

Kkrista123 Songster

Dec 2, 2018
    Hatboro PA
    Hello everyone! I'm currently deciding on the ways I would like to have Gilberta identified just in case. I want to have her microchipped but I need someone to reassure me this is smart and not cruel in any way. (I've only ever microchipped dogs and cats so microchipping Gil is a big decision.) As long as it wouldn't harm her in any way, I definitely want it done. Also does anyone have experience or opinions on custom leg bands? I would love to have a custom leg band for Gil with my phone number or address. I just don't want to do anything that would make her uncomfortable or jeopardize her health. She means a lot to me so it's hard to make the decisions without thinking I'm doing something wrong!
    Would this be uncomfortable for Gil in any way? Would a plastic or rubber band be better than metal? Is this a bad idea all together? Is microchipping a better idea? Just 1 or both?!
    Thanks so much for any help, opinions or experience. Everything helps my indecisiveness!

https://www.strombergschickens.com/...ISoGAYBIRLuAKYjvsBoo9u550pm_Vj5kaAijwEALw_wcB

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Your link takes me to bands that are TOO SMALL of a diameter for Duck legs. 4/16 equals 1/4 inch. Not good enough for adult ducks.
    A chip is probably not a very good idea, since anyone finding a duck would not immediately go to a veterinarian with a chip scanner.
    Chip scanners are not something everyday peeps carry around.
    There are plastic leg bands like I use for pigeons, that do come in larger sizes than the most common 8mm size. You just have to seek/search them out. They snap onto a leg, and are removable. They generally do not open up on their own. You can personalize one with a small engraver with whatever info you may fit on there. Generally a telephone # is sufficient explanation.
    Another option is to get a large width zip tie and engrave onto smooth side. Zip onto leg so plenty loose, but not falling off. (use common judgment)
    [​IMG]
    Here is another engraver.
    [​IMG]
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

3. Jpat

Jpat Crowing

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Since your bird is a legit indoor pet and i think from your posts that its a permenent love i would honestly go to a oawn shop, find the cheapest wedding band or some plain ring and get it engraved. cut it and open it then bend it back over her leg! get a huge ring

Or get a key ring that opens in half like i attatched and get a tiny pet tag from petsmart! I think it would be soo cute

Attached Files:

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I'm not sure why you would need a leg band? I'm pretty sure you won't lose your Duck..

Kkrista123 and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  5. Jpat

Jpat Crowing

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Famous last words haha your probably right tho

6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Probably...;)...:frow

Kkrista123, WannaBeHillBilly and Jpat like this.
  7. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crowing

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    Nothin's coming from the right…

Raenh and Kkrista123 like this.
  8. Kkrista123

Kkrista123 Songster

Dec 2, 2018
    Hatboro PA
    So true, thank you!

Raenh and cavemanrich like this.
  9. Kkrista123

Kkrista123 Songster

Dec 2, 2018
    Hatboro PA
    I thought about the second one, I might try it!

Raenh, Jpat and Miss Lydia like this.
  10. Puffles

Puffles Chirping

Sep 11, 2018
    Florida
    Duck bands are unnecessary, but I have them for my ducks because they're cute and they don't bother my muscovies at all.

Raenh, Jpat and Kkrista123 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: