Duck leg injury

I have a Buff drake. He puts full weight on it and then stumbles and almost falls. He just started this today.

How old? and do you know how he injured it any wound bruises ? best thing would be to confine him in an area where he doesn't have to do a lot of walking or trying to keep up with the flock, which could make it worse, sometimes just rest and water therapy works other times you may have to try something else, did you check his feet to make sure no bumble? Do you have anything around there he could have gotten into stagnant water? do you have activated charcoal?

How old? and do you know how he injured it any wound bruises ? best thing would be to confine him in an area where he doesn't have to do a lot of walking or trying to keep up with the flock, which could make it worse, sometimes just rest and water therapy works other times you may have to try something else, did you check his feet to make sure no bumble? Do you have anything around there he could have gotten into stagnant water? do you have activated charcoal?

I haven't checked him at all yet. I just assumed something was wrong with it because of how he was waddling.

I haven't checked him at all yet. I just assumed something was wrong with it because of how he was waddling.
You need to give him a through examine, check for swelling heat, if infection he'll need some antibiotics but you want to make sure of what your dealing with. So try to get him contained even a large dog crate works as hospital then make sure to feel his leg all over from top to bottom of his feet. also feel around down his back to see if you feel anything out of the ordinary. Do you have a ramp going into the pool? My drake jumped from top of ramp to ground and limped around for a couple of weeks. I soaked his legs in warm Epsom salt water and he finally got okay, and rested him from running around with everyone. How old? has he ever had niacin and what are you feeding?

Thanks for sharing your drake's situation here. I have a buff drake, too, and I agree with what Miss Lydia has said. It could be a number of things from not a big deal to a big deal if left uncared for.

We can offer suggestions and ideas, and the more we find out from you the better those suggestions and ideas may be.

You need to give him a through examine, check for swelling heat, if infection he'll need some antibiotics but you want to make sure of what your dealing with. So try to get him contained even a large dog crate works as hospital then make sure to feel his leg all over from top to bottom of his feet. also feel around down his back to see if you feel anything out of the ordinary. Do you have a ramp going into the pool? My drake jumped from top of ramp to ground and limped around for a couple of weeks. I soaked his legs in warm Epsom salt water and he finally got okay, and rested him from running around with everyone. How old? has he ever had niacin and what are you feeding?

I do not have a ramp for my pool. My pool isn't too high. I'll check him out and tell you what I see. I haven't done much today because of football.

Back
Top Bottom