Duck Leg Problem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by StevenW., Nov 24, 2010.

1. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I just noticed that my ducks legs are starting to bend in the middle! I'm very worried!!
    Could it be overfeeding??

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Bending bones makes me think Rickets. That is caused by a deficiency in Vitamin D. Make sure your duck gets enough of it.

3. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    They get a feed from the feed store that has everything they need and get a handful of corn a week.
    And can it stop or be fixed??

4. katharinad

Feed is notorious for not being complete when it comes to minerals and vitamins. You can get something like Nutridrench and add it to their water. Any poultry supplement will work. Just watch out for the mixing instructions. Some of for huge quantities of water. I like this product:
    https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=231
    It easily mixes, 1 teaspoon for 1 gallon of water. Once or twice per month is all that is needed. For now get some vitamin D3 dots or tablets from Walmart and mix 8000 IU per gallon of water. Offer that for one week and see how it goes.

5. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:does it work??

6. katharinad

It will, if it is rickets. A lack of vitamin D will soften the bones to rubber, even the bill become soft and prone to problems. It's totally preventable and reversible to some degree. Don't let it get worse. Really poultry vitamins are cheap, and so are human vitamins. Buy the Walmart brand and it even gets cheaper.

7. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I called Wal-Mart and all the Feed Stores and they said they no longer sell it [​IMG]

8. katharinad

That does not sound right. Walmart does sell Vitamin D3 in the vitamin isle. They carry 3 brands. People with osteoporosis need it, which basically is every retiree in this country. Perhaps a dumb employee answering the phone. The feed store is another story. They sell it as poultry vitamins or poultry electrolytes, or don't even carry it at all. I order my stuff online.
    https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=231
    I give this all my ducks one or twice (when they are laying eggs) per month and it lasts a long time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by